could use some info, please

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by SHELBY, Sep 15, 2005.

1. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in a while, but really missed the forum.

Anyway, I've got a problem and could use some advice, We were given a 2 week old 90 lb bull calf that is just having some problems. He's got some swelling in his knee joints and has a difficult time getting up and down. He walks around pretty well when he is up but he is slow. He is eating fine, poo is good, no fever. Around his mouth is wet (drooling) and sometimes you will hear him cough and does breathe heavy at times, ears are a little droopy.
    I'm not sure what he could have or what to do for him. I thought that maybe he got a navel infection when we was born, but not sure. Any suggestions or thoughts?

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Shelby,

I would give him a shot of LA200 just as a precautionary measure. If he's eating well and everything else looks alright, just watch him.

Bobg

3. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

If he has swollen knees, I would definitely suspect navel infection, and would start treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I suspect Joint or Naval Ill. Joint Ill is caused by an iodine deficiency in the cow. Navil Ill from an infection starting at the naval.

Joint Ill was once somewhat common in the Great Lakes and Northern Tier states which had a natural iodine deficiency in the soils. These were sometimes called The Goiter Belt also. My understanding this is the primary reason iodine was added to table salt.

5. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

Sounds like navel infection to me. Antibiotics are a must. Did you iodine/disinfect his navel when he hit the ground?

6. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Had LA200 on hand so we gave him some of that. He was getting up better this am and afternoon then he was tonight, He didn't want to finish all of his bottle tonight, out of 2 qts he was about 1/2 pt to 1 pt short. His ears are still really droopy but the swelling in his joints aappears to be starting to go down.

THanks for the help and info. Anything else we might try if he isn't moving around a little better tomorrow?

7. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Hi Shelby,

How's the calf? Unfortunately I went through this big time, so I can give you more info if you need it.

8. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Sad news to report. We lost him this morning. He seemed to be doing much better until yesterday, He stopped eating yesterday morning so we had to tube him, Tried him again in the afternoon and tubed him again (electrolytes) and again last night. This morning when we went out he was just laying there and passed about 1/2 hour later.

9. Christina R.

Sorry about your loss. If my facts are straight, dipping in iodine ALWAYS prevents navel ill. Such a tiny bit of prevention for what becomes such a major problem and usually a tragic loss.

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I'm sorry, it sucks to loss the little ones, or any of your animals for that matter, but it REALLY sucks to loss the babies.

11. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

It is a sad time here. I just to want to smack the person in the head that let him get this infection in the first place.
    When he came to us there was already an infection set in and I really don't think that much could have been done for him. I think by the time we got him it was really to late.

12. Christina R.

Shelby, on another note, is Rita going to impact you? If I remember right, you live somewhere in the Houston neck of the woods.

13. Christina R.

Okay, I should look first, I was thinking the "Shelby and Teg" Shelby. Well, I'm glad for you that Rita isn't going to add to your week.

14. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

We'll just get some rain out of it, but nothing major.

Thanks for the support

15. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Hi, and thanks for asking...

For 48 hours they we predicting landfall of Rita about 75 miles directly south of us, and we've been on edge. In the last day, it has veered eastward, we're expecting sustained winds around 75mph tonight, rather than 125. We're well prepared, sheltering the animals and ourselves in our barn which is much stronger than our ratty mobile home, I've filled our milk tank with water, and expecting the stock pond to be well filled with the rains. Just can't haven't found an ample supply of gas, but I'm hoping that will situation will ease quickly after the storm hits. Pray for East Tx. and Southern La, the situation is very dire there now.

We'll have plenty of milk, if anyone can get here to take it! haha.