Could this work???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leslie, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

We will probably get out 1st freeze tomorrow night :( . It is particularly upsetting as I have a large crop of tomatoes (green), peppers (also green) and eggplant. Here is the situation.....From my prior experience with the weather here I see it only going to 32 degrees for about 2 to 3 hours at most. If I put spray water on the garden for those hours could I get past this light but killing frost? Any other suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks!

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Do you have a tarp, sheet, or blanket that you could put over them? The water will help.....but the cover will help too!

3. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

The best way to protect them would be to keep the warmth radiated from the soil trapped around the the plants. Early in the day, before the freeze, go out and deeply water the soil below the plants, this will warm up to near the daytime temperature, and when the air temperature starts to drop cover the plants with old bedsheets, blankets or anything that will keep the radiated heat around the plants. Do not let any plastic come in contact with the plant leaves. If the garden is not too far from an electrical outlet you could run an extension cord with a 100 watt bulb or a heat lamp under the covers. I tried the sprinkle system on some fruit trees a couple of years back and just got a bunch of broken limbs from the weight of the ice that formed on the leaves.

4. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Thank you for the help! Did an experiment. Half the garden got the water treatment the other half blankets. Water lost....miserably. Lots of tomato-cilces and very slick grass.

Thanks, Leslie