Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Yea one of them kidded in May and the entire time I wasnt 100% sure she was pregnant until she was definitely in labor because the belly kept going from being obvious to not being there at all.

Im going to have to just find out when it happens shes not going to let me handle her without a fight right now. I already twisted my knee bending down wrong (the Marine Corps gave me the gift of the knees of an 80 year old) to try and get a look at her when she forgot I was standing near her so im in no shape to wrestle with her 130lb butt.

If she doesnt kid within 2 weeks that would mean my buckling did the job but he was only knee high to her til a month ago and Im trying to figure out the physics of how that would have worked, especially since she hates the little punk and I havent once seen her in heat over the past 4 and a half months.
Bucks - small or large - will find a way. So will the does.

I've seen videos of small bucks sneaking up on does to breed them. Too funny, but can't find them now. :(

We also had the experience of watching one of our hair sheep ewes (notorious for being sneaky, private breeders) actually lie down so the young ram of her choice could breed her. She was a very large girl, not fat, just tall and BIG. Sold her to a friend, who later called to report that the ewe threw triplets.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,345 Posts
Do you have chutes or a barn? A good holding dog? A worthwhile idea to be able to catch your stock in cases of emergencies, or in ones like this.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
she hates the little punk and I havent once seen her in heat over the past 4 and a half months
When there's a will there's a way. Years ago I worked at a place that had a petting zoo. There was a big tall buck, and an even taller buckskin mare in the same pen. The buck would walk up to the mare and punch her in the ribs with his horns, after the third or forth punch the mare would lay down, and the buck would get on with his business.

• Wow
Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No it hasnt. And im at day 154 since I got her and she wasnt exposed to a buckling capable of breeding on my land until mid may. She hasnt bagged up any further and she has stopped all nesting behavior so Im not sure what to make of it. I would think that if she miscarried somewhere in the woods I would see discharge. Im not sure what to make of it besides she either miscarried or went into false labor really early.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oya.. well my doe was a little weird also but she started nesting and pawing at the ground like 2 months before pregnancy and so on.. but ya she could have miscarried..

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
At full term, even if she delivered a dead kid, she would have uddered up and started producing milk. And there would definitely be copious vaginal discharge.

If she hasn't delivered the goods by now, I'd like to suggest you draw blood and send it in, or ask your vet to come do an exam. (Unless she's small enough to transport, in which case, bring her to the vet and save a few quid.)

She may be bred from the May exposure, of course. If it's not critical for you to find out if she is settled, you can just hang tight and observe. As long as she's Bright, Alert, and Responsive (BAR), eating and drinking normally, then all is good.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Shes healthy enough that she is stealing the title of herd queen so Im not concerned enough to pay for testing. I didnt want to lasso her in case she was due but now that I know shes at least a month out, but probably more, Im gonna give her a good once over.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do you have chutes or a barn? A good holding dog? A worthwhile idea to be able to catch your stock in cases of emergencies, or in ones like this.
I built their shelter so it could be converted to a kidding stall somewhat quick.

Anyway, the doe I was sure was pregnant lost her milk and doesnt look pregnant. But the one I was sure wasnt bred barreled up all of a sudden and has kids kicking out her side and a big shiny utter.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
I built their shelter so it could be converted to a kidding stall somewhat quick.

Anyway, the doe I was sure was pregnant lost her milk and doesnt look pregnant. But the one I was sure wasnt bred barreled up all of a sudden and has kids kicking out her side and a big shiny utter.
Well, there ya go!

Besides a big, shiny udder, any other signs? Bulging vulva? Big, long string of mucus? Nesting behavior?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, there ya go!

Besides a big, shiny udder, any other signs? Bulging vulva? Big, long string of mucus? Nesting behavior?
Biting/licky at her belly a lot, normally skittish but keeps coming up to me like she wants to ask for something. I dont see nesting but shes making the herd stay closer to the pen. Vulva is slightly swollen, Ive never seen her kid but her daughter didnt look very swollen until 5 minutes before a kid was on the ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well a little late to the conversation but sounds like she will be having kids soon! Or has she had them already?? Can’t wait to see the kid or kids🤪

21 - 32 of 32 Posts