Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my does 137 days ago. I had one kid in may and she showed absolutely no signs of it until a couple of days before kidding. My whole herd has been acting nutty for about 2 weeks and one of my older does had a complete personality change beginning yesterday. Wont let me approach her, if the herd isnt lounging around she keeps 50 feet from them, and is standing with her tailbone haunched. I thought she might be ill until I realized she could have been exposed just before I got her. Looking at the plumbing it does just barely look like she might be in very early labor (theres some spreading). But, she hasnt bagged up. It looks like there might be some very slight milk production but its so little its hard to tell if theres any difference. Its too dark to get pictures right now, I'll try in the morning.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heard some coyote so I went out to deal with that and she was standing in a corner with her backside to me so I was able to get a picture. Ive only been through one kidding but im pretty sure she looks like she is about to kid. What does everyone else think? She hasnt bagged up a ton but shes definitely bagging up some and her teats werent swollen like that when I posted this thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
She could be close to giving birth. Does she have any mucus coming out of her back end? And also sometimes they don’t bag up until right before birth. Have u seen her recently pawing the ground or even just really restless like laying down and standing back up every little bit? She could also still be a few days out..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here was my doe 10 days before she kidded.. she had 3.. and of course every doe is is different when they kid.. as far as I can see it looks like your doe only has 1-2 kids In her..

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I do think she is pregnant....impossible to tell for sure from a picture but pregnant is my guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also is her tail cocked to the side in a weird angle? Do her ligaments feel looser then normal if so she is getting close.. if they feel like they are completely gone or just really really squishy she is definitely gonna have kids today! Is her vulva puffy?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She could be close to giving birth. Does she have any mucus coming out of her back end? And also sometimes they don’t bag up until right before birth. Have u seen her recently pawing the ground or even just really restless like laying down and standing back up every little bit? She could also still be a few days out..
She wont let me close enough to see mucus. It looked like there could have been a drop or two but it could have also been the landscape down there. She was kicking the ground with her hind legs a bunch while I was trying to get that picture. The doe that kidded in may (these are all spanish does from the same farm, havent had their genetics tested but they dont look like theyve been crossed) barely showed at all. She looked like she had just eaten some hay and ballooned up except it was pushing out to the right instead of the left just like this doe is looking. And she didnt bag up huge either, about the size of of a small catalope. When that one started showing signs of being pregnant I think it was 5 or 6 days before kidding and comparing this one to the first id say she looks like 2 days maximum away from kidding.

Im just amazed by this. What luck that she was bred just days before I got her. If she does kid then i got these girls for an absolute steal of a price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
She wont let me close enough to see mucus. It looked like there could have been a drop or two but it could have also been the landscape down there. She was kicking the ground with her hind legs a bunch while I was trying to get that picture. The doe that kidded in may (these are all spanish does from the same farm, havent had their genetics tested but they dont look like theyve been crossed) barely showed at all. She looked like she had just eaten some hay and ballooned up except it was pushing out to the right instead of the left just like this doe is looking. And she didnt bag up huge either, about the size of of a small catalope. When that one started showing signs of being pregnant I think it was 5 or 6 days before kidding and comparing this one to the first id say she looks like 2 days maximum away from kidding.

Im just amazed by this. What luck that she was bred just days before I got her. If she does kid then i got these girls for an absolute steal of a price.
Ya well is she normally tame? Cuz if she is then that is definitely a sign that she is getting closer. What I normally do is feel their sides and then if you can feel the babies kicking or just their then they are a month out unless you don’t catch it right away. But that would be kinda hard to do if she’s not letting u touch her.

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Baby on the right, rumen on the left. If she's pregnant it's going to be a single, that's good because your goat appears young in age....Topside

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not much different today. The right side of her belly is sticking out a little less but it looks like she hollowed out a bit more. The doe that kidded in May did this and had me doubting whether she was actually pregnant. Her utter filled up a little more on the left side. And, shes making no attempts to climb any of their toys. I tried to get close enough to feel her belly but best I could do was get her to eat out of my hand held at arms length. Im tempted to lasso her but Im guessing that stressing her out right now wouldnt be a good idea.

Based off my experience with the other doe and how she looks now compared to last night I think it looks like I have a couple of days.

I have no idea how old this doe is, i want to guess that shes 3-4 years old but I have nothing to base that off of aside from her being full grown, having a daughter and still looking young in the face.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
Udder pics are useful only if you know the history of the doe’s previous lactations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not much different today. The right side of her belly is sticking out a little less but it looks like she hollowed out a bit more. The doe that kidded in May did this and had me doubting whether she was actually pregnant. Her utter filled up a little more on the left side. And, shes making no attempts to climb any of their toys. I tried to get close enough to feel her belly but best I could do was get her to eat out of my hand held at arms length. Im tempted to lasso her but Im guessing that stressing her out right now wouldnt be a good idea.

Based off my experience with the other doe and how she looks now compared to last night I think it looks like I have a couple of days.

I have no idea how old this doe is, i want to guess that shes 3-4 years old but I have nothing to base that off of aside from her being full grown, having a daughter and still looking young in the face.

·
STILL not Alice
20,717 Posts
Based on your pic, all I can say is, "My goats eat very well." My girls look like that most of the year. LOL

Seriously, just keep an eye on her. You'll know in a couple of weeks if she's pregnant or not.

If you simply must know now, go ahead and pull blood, send in for a preg check, get a CAE test run at the same time. You'll know in a couple of days that way.

Or, just take a chance and enjoy the suspense.

Have any of your does kidded out before?

<Pony passes a bowl of popcorn to @Docdubz > Want a Pepsi? ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Based on your pic, all I can say is, "My goats eat very well." My girls look like that most of the year. LOL

Seriously, just keep an eye on her. You'll know in a couple of weeks if she's pregnant or not.

If you simply must know now, go ahead and pull blood, send in for a preg check, get a CAE test run at the same time. You'll know in a couple of days that way.

Or, just take a chance and enjoy the suspense.

Have any of your does kidded out before?

<Pony passes a bowl of popcorn to @Docdubz > Want a Pepsi? ;)
Yea one of them kidded in May and the entire time I wasnt 100% sure she was pregnant until she was definitely in labor because the belly kept going from being obvious to not being there at all.

Im going to have to just find out when it happens shes not going to let me handle her without a fight right now. I already twisted my knee bending down wrong (the Marine Corps gave me the gift of the knees of an 80 year old) to try and get a look at her when she forgot I was standing near her so im in no shape to wrestle with her 130lb butt.

If she doesnt kid within 2 weeks that would mean my buckling did the job but he was only knee high to her til a month ago and Im trying to figure out the physics of how that would have worked, especially since she hates the little punk and I havent once seen her in heat over the past 4 and a half months.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts