Could this be the start of Labor?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have a 9 month old doe. I purchased her for my son when she was just over 4 months old. When we brought her home, we did keep her away from our little bucklings. Although one was only days old and the other really didn't show any signs of interest in her. They were kept in separate pens. Anyway after we got her home I went over her thoroughly and determined in my exam that she passed the "pooch" test. I told my son then that she may be pregnant. It would not surprise me as she was running with her brother, father, uncles, cousins etc.... This morning I went out to feed everyone and noticed she had an awfully messy rear end. I mean it was gross, all over her tail. Anyway, she was still having a very thick white discharge. Checked the tail pins, they seem to still be there. This evening, the discharge was still there. She has not had any change in personality. She does appear to be a little large around the midsection, but I have never been any good at feeling the babies. Her udders are not developed, the teats are a little larger than normal, but nothing substancial. Could there be any other thing causing this? We have had her for exactly 148 days. My guess is she is pregnant and beginning labor. My other doe didn't have discharge until the day she delivered, so her being so young and never kidded before I don't know what her pattern will be, and I'm not real experienced with kidding so any suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

What breed is she?With my boers it is harder too go by udder-but-everything gets some udder development if pregnant-one of the first signs in dairy doelings is the start of a little udder-long b-4 actual birthing-with no udder, only "slightly rounder"-i would guess she was in heat-rather than starting labor,if she was my doe.She should just now be getting bred-rather than birthing,at that age-but not all things can be controlled.The tail head would be very noticeable,sunkin on both sides, deep hollows with the tail just kinda "sitting on top" and not attached looking.

3. Starsmom

I thought about that last night after posting. Could it be heat instead of labor? She is Nubian/Saneen cross. I agree, she is way too young to be having babies, if she is it would be a result of prior to our having her. With her previous owner, they are all run in the same herd. They breed, have babies and are just there. He feeds and gives all the necessary wormings and shots, but he does not separate them. Maybe I'll put her in with my buck today and see what happens. Of course, I guess she was with one of my bucks yesterday. When I came home one of them had jumped out of the pen. It is 54" high and I didn't think he could get out, but he did, so if it is heat, she is probably already bred.

4. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

She could be pregnant, but she could also be in heat. One of my pygmies gets a very thick white discharge when she goes into heat. Looks white and thick. Is she flagging her tail alot? Is she particularly fat? My girl is fat but not pregnant fat. Her sides (left in particular) should also be fairly hard, not mushy and if you keep your hand there long enough you my feel a hard lump move. If you just feel movement, it might be just her rumen.

Of course, I would watch her closely today to make sure.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Well giving birth at 9 months old is NOT unusual, if they are kept in with bucks, heck our little girl gave birth at 6 months old to a healthy baby girl. i would have to say though that if she does not have udder developement she is NOt THAT far along, our little girl had udders in proportion to her mothers, her mother gave birth just 6 days before she did, by proportion i mean compared to her body. well Good Luck, i will pray for the best. Bye.

6. Starsmom

I didn't notice the discharge today, so maybe (hopfully) it was heat. I left her in with one of my bucks today. He was very interested, she didn't run away as she normally does, but she didn't appear too interested. She does have a nice round belly and it seems hard not mushy. We've been working with her, she is funny, she does not like her belly touched or her tail. You can pet or love on her, just don't touch the underside of her belly or her tail. Now when she is on the milking stand, she tolerates it. We put her on it to trim and also to get her used to being handled. I marked yesterday and today down as possible breeding dates and will watch her to see if she comes into heat in what 21 days. Hopfully it is heat and she is not pregnant. I love the babies, but I feel like she is too young.