Could this be a retained placenta?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MrsLewis, Mar 4, 2005.

1. MrsLewis

MrsLewis Member

Hi, I need help...
    My doe Raven kidded 2 weeks ago today....triplets. All seemed normal and we cleaned up the barn and took care of what of the placenta. We moved from MO to GA last week and the goats are getting settled in but this morning we noticed that Raven has some bloody-mucusy looking discharge such as you would expect after birthing. It was not much....maybe about 4inches but her tail is wet with it. And her tail is down which it has not been. I gave her 3ccs of goat serum concentrate and 10 grams of probios. She didn't want in her feed but was nibbling at the mineral bucket so I opened it up and let her have some. They get it mixed in with their food every day but maybe she needed some more. At 2 weeks after birthing, this doesn't seem normal to me....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Kimberly Lewis in GA

2. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

A mom feeding triplets only nibling at minerals and not food and tail down wouldn't seem normal to me. The move could have an effect on her. Some toxicity due to not expelling everything after the birth and ketosis also come to mind. A change in diet while moving or in the new home could affect her too. The nutritional content of feed (natural and purchased) can be quite different in different areas. For example, I think that MO was deficient in Selenium, but in southern Tennessee where we are, there is no deficiency and we have to be quite careful. I don't have a Selenium map with me, but you MAY have moved into an area that is not deficient in Selenium.

Does she have a temperature? Does her breath or urine smell sweet?

Now might be a good time to try some of the local "livestock" vets.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

3. MrsLewis

MrsLewis Member

I just wanted to let you know that Raven is doing fine today...she must have not liked the new feed we were mixing in with her stuff from MO but she is eating it fine today...Her tail is up and only a tad bit of stuff is coming out now. We are bottle feeding the babies although we only have the doe kid left. I wasn't sure how her milk production would be with the move and all so I thought it prudent to not take the bucklings with us. We found good homes for them. I did check her breath and urine and no, it's not sweet. The vet I checked with (long distance....back in Kansas) said it was normal to discharge after kidding even up to 4-6 weeks. I am a little scared about finding a goat vet around here because when we lived here 3 years ago, we had some goats....not registered or purebred and when I had some problems I got a recommendaton of a "good' vet who promptly killed my goat giving the wrong meds and he had to look up vitals and had NO idea about goats. Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.

Many blessings,
    Mrs. Lewis

4. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Kimberly,
    I checked my notes and paper of which I have reams on goats and medical stuff, and found this. List of vets that handle or can help with goats in Georgia and Florida.

Dr. Lisa Williamson at the UGA Vet School
    Athens, GA.

Billy Blair Jr. DVM
    Alapaha Veterinary Services
    P.O. Box 147
    Jennings, FL 32053
    office phone: (904) 938-5767
    mobile: (912) 560-3152
    Liscensed in both FL and GA

Dr. S. Mobini, DVM, MS
    Fort Valley State College
    Agricultural Research Station
    Fort Valley, GA 31030-3298
    912-825-6427
    Fax - 912-825-6299

Hendricks Animal Hospital
    Manchester, GA

Dr. Ricky Poe
    East Paulding Animal Hospital
    4130 Marietta Hwy.
    Dallas, Georgia
    Does farm visits, Phone: (770) 445-7300

Dr. E. Ray Wright
    Rock Chapel Road
    Lithonia, GA
    Very experienced, great with all livestock

Lora Dowell, DVM (has a real sense about goats, good to work with)
    Jackson GA
    770-775-4751
    or at Jackson Vet Clinic
    770-775-5710

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

IT is not uncommon for a goat to have a discharge for 3 weeks or 4 weeks. most don't , but a few due. IF it is a lot, then get a vet. but most of the time, it is just from having babies. and will stop in a while.