Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed, but I seem to be six months behind on most topics...

Since I'll soon probably be relying on my computer for most of my news and entertainment (cable costs here are out of sight) I'd like to know what's available for free or minimal fees.

·
TEotWaWKI
470 Posts
RichNC is right. The non-free items will say H+ in the corner. You might want to create a free account if you want to watch anything rated R or TV-MA, but otherwise, just click through and find what you want.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
The plus (paid) version is $8 or 9 a month. I've cut cable TV and am really like that and Netflix. I also get a G play movie sometimes. Netflix is about $9 a month.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plus (paid) version is $8 or 9 a month. I've cut cable TV and am really like that and Netflix. I also get a G play movie sometimes. Netflix is about $9 a month.
Angie, what is a 'G play' movie?

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Google store where I can purchase or rent a movie and down load. It's mine for whenever I want to watch it if purchased, or good for 48 hours if I rent.

Google store = Gstore, is where you can find to purchase movies, tv shoes, etc.
Gplay is the Google movie play feature.

If you use gmail, there are 9 dot/box on the top right, click on that. You will see options, one of them is gplay.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Never mind- answered my own Q by going to G-Play.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I have a free account on HULU and there are tons of programs and movies available. Sign up for an account and you can save items to your Queue, which makes it much easier, plus HULU will automatically add new TV episodes to your queue if you mark the show as "favourites".

HULU doesn't broadcast CBS shows, so I use Xfinity for those shows. I can go to the CBS site, but I find the Xfinity interface easier. http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/

·
Registered
382 Posts
FWIW - We dumped Hulu and just use Netflix now. Hulu was great while we were weaning ourselves off of cable, but eventually we got sick of watching the same 3 commercials over and over and over... (Even Hulu Plus has ads). We obviously don't get to watch the newest shows on Netflix as everything is at least 1 season behind from standard TV, but we don't mind since it is commercial free.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
FWIW - We dumped Hulu and just use Netflix now. Hulu was great while we were weaning ourselves off of cable, but eventually we got sick of watching the same 3 commercials over and over and over... (Even Hulu Plus has ads). We obviously don't get to watch the newest shows on Netflix as everything is at least 1 season behind from standard TV, but we don't mind since it is commercial free.
Yes, HULU has ads, but it's free and you can watch the current seasons of shows from the major networks except CBS. The ads aren't as long as what is on TV, and a good time to get a snack or a pit stop.
I don't have Netflix, but it seems to me that free HULU and Netflix would be a good combination.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Do you watch on your computer, or connect somehow to a TV set? Sorry, I'm a little foggy on how this all works. What if TimeWarner is the best choice for Internet?? When I looked recently, internet by itself (with any speed) was more than half the cost of cable-net-phone.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
We have both Hulu and Netflix. I pay $7.99 a month for each of them. We watch on our TV through my sons Xbox but there are other ways you can connect through your TV. I can also watch on my laptop or any computer. Basically, anything you can get internet over you can watch on. If I was away from home at my daughters house I could watch on her TV. Your password to log on will work no matter where you are.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
We just started using Free TV. Has the new TV shows as well as some old ones and some movies...all free as soon as the day after they air! I've been watching the new season Downtown Abbey - don't think it's even showing in the US yet. Many of the shows imply you can join so you don't see ads.....we have never seen an ad yet and we have not/will not "go premium". Maybe our ad blocker is blocking them...

Anyways: Try this http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Thank you all for these posts. I didn't understand it either. TW internet is costing me $100 mo. OUTRAGEOUS! If anyone has a better idea let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I dropped Dish and went with a Roku player which allows my TV to access the internet via the wireless modem. Currently I subscribe to HuluPlus and Netflix, both about $8 per month I think. I probably watch each about 50-50, mostly BBC shows on Hulu and mostly movies on Netflix (but some TV shows also). The commercials are kinda' aggravating/repetitive on HuluPlus, but as noted above, they are short in duration. No regrets about dropping Dish at all, and while I was once considering adding cable TV to my internet service, I am very content with what I'm getting for about $16 per month.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I hope you don't mind, Stef, I, also, am in the dark about all this.

Am I right in assuming in order to watch TV using Roku, you must have a certain speed internet connection and enough GB. Am I correct?

We have Verizon for internet and cell phones and we have 5 GB, which apparently isn't nearly enough for watching TV in any significant amount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts