Could she be in the "family way"?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Jul 16, 2004.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I bought my first two Alpine does in April. A fresh 2 year old and a dry yearling. Now, the yearling is becoming rather large around the middle, acting slightly different than usual - a bit lazy in the morning, flicking her tail a lot, doubling up if you touch her belly area, but not like she's in pain, more like she really, really likes it. I've email the lady I bought her from, but she's currently at the National ADGA show and I won't hear from her for at least a few more days.

Is there any way of telling? I tried feeling her belly to see if I noticed any movement. Her belly is hard, kind of like when I was pregnant many, many, many (enough already) years ago. She isn't bagging up or anything, but she does "look" at her udder area frequently. Should I find a stethoscope somewhere and give a listen? Can't someone invent a caprine version of EPT? :D

Ruth

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

most all of mine are big around the middle right now. they are pregnant but thats not the reason. just plenty to eat. i can't tell if mines pregnant by just looking at thier belly at anytime. one side of thier bulge is the rumen and the kids are on the other side. if i remember right, left is rumen and right is kids. but then i can only feel them the last month or so. both sides tend to look the same pregnant or not. sometimes early in the morning they'll be pretty trim and by evening they're looking fat. if in the last stages of pregnancy, sometimes they'll look lopsided in the morning. sometimes not. anyway, big around the middle has never been a good indicater for me.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Was she bred when you bought her? Does she run with your buck? The tail flagging sounds like she is in heat now. The round belly sound like she is just fat, or perhaps wormy, or perhaps is getting too much grain and not enough roughage (just some ideas). I have an old wether that looks pregnant, it's hard to go by looks. Sometimes when you pet a doe that has kidded before in particular, they will do a hunching thing as if to nurse young again, a squat to get their young to their udder. She would have really beed bred out of goat breeding season (particularly for the north) if she is just now going to kid. Mine always bag up at least a bit first and their female parts start to show some small changes prior to kidding. Let us know what happens!

4. moosemaniac

Well, they do have plenty to eat in the pasture, lots of browse. She's probably just a tubby then. She wasn't supposed to have been bred when I got her, I just thought maybe someone had a trifling affair with her before I got her. My buckling has only been around a couple of weeks, so he can't have done much. I'll get used to this goat stuff one of these days.

Ruth

5. Mrs. Cook

Mrs. Cook Member

Hi Moose.... I'm back from Nationals, and just read your post. I doubt Lone Star is bred... she was only in with the other does here, and none of my boys escaped from their pasture for the past 7 years. She's probably just fat... or "over-conditioned" as we politely call it in the show world. Don't let her get too chubby before breeding, or she may have ketosis problems during late pregnancy. Also, it wouldn't hurt to worm her before breeding.... especially with all the wet weather we have had here. As for Nationals, Willow Run Armand Rishona took Grand Champion Alpine again... and well deserving.... she is truly beautiful............ Linda

6. moosemaniac

Hi Linda, glad you're back. Yeah, I have to agree, I think Star's just a piggy. She's starting to show signs of heat actually. And you should see Ollie trying to mate with Tellie. It's amusing. I was kind of hoping if Tellie gets bred, she'd kid early winter rather than late January or any time in February since that's about the worst weather here.

All's well in the Patriot goat herd though.

Ruth