Could my period affect does behavior?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Oct 10, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

The ONLY thing I can think of that is making my saanen doe Nanny act so strange is my period. I took her to a buck thinking heat but nope. She wanted nothing to do with him. But when I walk into the barn she avoids me, RUNS stark scared from me and does the backing up while the head raises and the ears go back and the head cocks thing. Almost like I was a dog and this has happened before but I never pegged it but she started acting this way yesterday (my first day) and is still acting like it. Everyone else is just as lovey as every but she's just acting weird.
    Anyone else have this happen?

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Areyou wearing something she has never seen before? Mine will react the same way, if i show up in say,a raincoat..red raincoat one day and they were all terrified! Does she change her behavior , back too calm, :rolleyes: when she hears your voice? Goats can be so funny-don't know of it ever happening with does during that time-but bucks can be more interested in you.

3. allenslabs

Tonight I had on a coat but I didn't last night and she was the same way. No I talked to her and that made her worse almost! Like "Oh GOSH IT ATE HER AND SHE"S TALKING FROM THE STOMACH! ! BLAH!!!!!!!" LOL! No clue....... she's just an odd little goat sometimes but I've noticed it to happen before. Just her..... no one else cares but just her. Strange little thing.

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I've never had it happen with a female critter but she could be taking it as you're the Alpha female and getting out of your way.

I've had the opposite problem with male dogs and horses. Dogs just love to sniff anyway and that time of the month doesn't help, ie... nose up the crotch or rear.

Stallions and proud cut geldings will get randy just from being around a woman on her cycle. It isn't you, it's the pheromones your body is emitting and the message it conveys to any particular animal.

5. allenslabs

Oh I just love a nose up the crotch. I REALLY love it when people come over and my lab goes and sticks hers right up everyone like ok who are you>/ HAHA! Stupid dog. I yell at her and she usually leaves but I know what you mean. Oh my favorite is the persistent sniffer....... the dog that sniffs you while talking to their owner and you gently try to push them away and they keep leaning into you to get a better sniff and you just about have to haul off and kick the dog before it leaves! HAHA!!! And the owners just stand there and keep talking instead of calling off the k9 units on my crotch! TAHAHAHA!

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

If people sniffed like some dogs do, football games would be a riot. LOL! :p

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We had a half steer that when either me or my mother were on our periods he would put his head in the crotch and ram upwards. Lets just say that he will NOT bedoing that anymore, hehe.

8. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Just out of curiousity (sniffing dogs aside LOL), were you wearing your hair differently? I usually wear my hair up in a ponytail and the first few times my Nigerians saw me with it down, they were horrified. Yesterday, I went down to the goat pen just before work to take the collar off my new Saanen as she was out with the other does, three of whom have horns (I read the posts on the dangers of collars!) and I had my hair down - had an awful time catching her!

9. allenslabs

nope........... I don't think so. She was far better tonight (i'm almost "done" for the month) so who knows whats up with her.

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Weird our goats NEVER act weird when I am PMSing, of course neither do our dogs, weird, only that half steer ever acted weird, and he was a jerk to begin with.