Could I build a butter churner?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Living Simply, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Living Simply

Living Simply Active Member

I've posted on the Barter Board my need for a butter churner like what Lehman's has to offer (their best butter churner). Can I duplicate one myself without having to purchase it at Lehman's for $130?

I've just joined a milk coop until I buy my own Jersey, and I'll be getting whole milk and then skim the cream for butter. This will be new for me, but I'm ready for the challenge and fun!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We made butter in a half gallon jar. We took turns bouncing it on our knee until butter formed in the jar.
    You can make butter with an electric mixer on low speed.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We did it in the blender...using low speed and pulse.

We also had an old hand powered crock churn. I still love those.

I'm sure you could make a churn. After all, for hundreds of years they were hand made. The question is not whether it's possible. It's whether or not it's feasible. Or you could find an old crock, and make a new dasher and lid for it. If you really want to do it the hand churn way, that'd be my suggestion.

Meg :)

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

DH's uncle and aunt dairied in Canada, where each farm has a milk quota. When they over produced, she would make butter in an old washing machine (don't ask me how!) then freeze it for later.

We never made butter at home when we had milk cows but we did make cheese.(we just sold htem a year ago but it seems like a century since we were milking)

Cheese making uses up a lot of milk! We got some cheese making supplies (I think from Caprine Supply ....?) and made a simple fresh recipe. The kids thought it was a blast and a gallon of milk made a ball of cheese that varied from baseball size to softball size. Depending on the composition of hte milk -- more solids, more cheese. We were milking Holsteins and their milk "tends" to be lower in cream etc. Although a lot of times our milk averaged over 4 percent fat.

Anyway, hope that helps. Enjoy your fresh milk! Since we have been buying bottled milk from the store we're thinking Hmmm ... tastes kinda funny. Drinkable but a little odd.

Ann

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree. For small quantities a gallon "bar jar" works real well. When a child of an Amish friend of mine broke their churn glass they used a jar until they could relplace it. We just took turns shaking it. I did it this way years ago when we had a cow that had a shorthorn X cow with too much milk for the calf until it grew.

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

My Kentucky Grandfather never bought anything he could make so when inevitable would happen to the family churn, he would look around at auctions or where ever and fine a likely looking crock, buy it, and whittle out a lid and dasher for it from maple.

We've bounced a jar on our knee, and we've used a blender.

I've seen where folks have took an old hand cranked drill, not a brace, and a gallon jar to make butter churns. Besides the jar and drill, all one needs is to construct a paddle the drill can turn.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

How about an electric drill with a paint stirer on it. NAW.
    My stepdad used to mow the sides of the state highway we lived on with horses and a steel wheeled mower. The wheels had little bumps on them to give them traction. OK in sod, but rougher than a cob on pavement. He hung his lunch on the back of the seat in a seed corn sack. Having ulcers, he always carried a quart on milk with his lunch. He said the milk had butter in it at noon.
    If you would put a half gallon of sour cream in each saddle bag, and take a 30 minute trot on old Glueboy, you would have butter.
    Nessesity is the mother of invention.

8. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

:haha: "old Glueboy?"
    Uncle Will you just won't do!!! :haha: :haha:

9. clc79092

clc79092 Member

Cumberland General Store has crock and wooden butter churns and they also have a paddle type similar to the old daisy churns. www.cumberlandgeneralstore.com
    Hope this helps

10. All country

All country Well-Known Member

If you have someone who likes to rock, strap a gallon jar onto their rocking chair. An Aunt of mine did this so she could be making butter while rocking fussy babies. By the time she had the little ones settled down for naps she had butter ready to rinse and salt.
    My Dh is the rocker in our house thus the designated butter churner. When I hear the right sounding thud in the jar then it's my job to rinse, salt, and shape the butter.
    Of course after all his hard work Dh expects some fresh butter on some fresh homemade bread or crackers.

11. angelak

angelak Well-Known Member

I don't mean to nit pick but the correct web address is
    www.cumberlandgeneral.com I'm sorry, I don't know how to make it into a hotlink. The other address is just frustrating and irritating.

Angela

12. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried using an ice-cream maker for making butter?
    I realized last year as we were making ice cream in our hand-crank ice cream freezer that you could make butter in it as well. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but think about it??? It has the same paddles as a jar churn, I guess you could use an electric one if you would rather. Just don't use any ice of coarse.
    I also know that these are also very expensive at Lehmans. But you could get the cheaper version with the plastic bucket (cost about $20). It seems to me that it should churn butter beautifully.Let me know if it works.

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

You can always ebay.The glass bottle,crank ones that work usually go from 35 dollars on up.The bigger glass bottle ones with the electric motors,50 -150 depending on jar size and motor condition.I got 2 there,one reasonable,one in the 150 range,but excellent cond.You will be bidding against collectors,dealers and Yuppies making country kitchens(so the sky can be the limit on some of them!),so be patient,took us a month or so to get our 2 at prices we could tolerate.
    Now all I need is the goat and place to put her. :D
    BooBoo

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

15. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If someone is willing to pay postage, I have one gallon glass jars (restaurant olive jars) with screw down lids.

Ken Scharabok

16. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

So does the Ice Cream machines work for making butter, if so I'm going to get one of the old-fashioned White Mountain ice cream makers.

17. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, an electric ice cream maker works real well.

18. Living Simply

Living Simply Active Member

Y'all are great! I knew I could count on you to come up with a creative way of making butter. I love the rocking chair idea!

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My mother put the milk in mayonaisse jars and stowed it in the back of the jeep whenever we did the rounds on the 100 acres. Great butter if we did full rounds, butter milk if we did abbreviated rounds. I like the rocker idea...I could con the kids into doing that job!

20. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

A freind told us those blender sticks work really well, havent tried that yet.

My dad took an old moter that I am guessing came off an old stand mixer or something like that. He put a stainless steel shaft and paddle and a carved board that fits on a gas gallon jar. Makes butter within 15 mintues.

I think the temp of the cream should be about 65.

Mrs Whodunit