could anyone help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by samuel444, Nov 20, 2005.

1. samuel444

samuel444 New Member

I'm trying to build my own vacuum pump for a milking machine. Can anyone point me in the right direction, what size tank, pump, parts etc... Thank you for your help

2. samuel444

samuel444 New Member

I have ten cows, and five goats. I will be milking one cow at a time maybe later two at a time.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I know nothing about milking systems! However, I do know about air compressors and I know an air compressor can be used as a vacuum pump. Just connect a tank to the intake side of an air compressor and you will have a vacuum pump and tank with vacuum. Obviously you will need to control the amount of vacuum and this can be accomplished by adding a bleed valve to the tank.

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

IF you can find a old Mercedies Diesel car they fit a Exhauster for the brake servo, also some of the old 350 chevvies had a air pump to shove air down the exhaust for a clean burn , that may work as a exhauster

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 1/2 hp direct drive gast vacuum pump on my goat milker, (bought the pump surplus)
    and have a old water filter housing for a catch if i over fill the milker,

I think i have it set for about 10 inch's of vacuum, I don't really remember,

it really doesn't take a lot of cfm, once you get the inflates attached to the teats, I would think 2 to 3 CFM would actually do the milking,

(I once saw a picture of a tractor with a vacuum valve on the intake manifold that powered the milking bucket in the 1930)
    I never tried it but my guess is it would work

but you will some type of controller to limit the vacuum

6. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

nasco has a goat milker that hooks to a car

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

another question would be are you shooting towards a pipeline system or just a comparable to the commercially availabe surge units for homestead use?

a search on ebay leads a person to believe that Item number: 7563238252 might be a pretty good unit to try out for $650 buy it now price shipping extra.....

Lehmans has some hand equipment that is stainless for storing milk in..... but all pretty small and non for cold storage.... it would depend on how many pound milkers your cows are as to what you needed for cold storage, with 500 gallon stainless tanks being about average for smaller tanks availabe for larger dairies and they take a goodly amount of electrictity to cool.... whats in your budget [what you thought i would rip off capital one???]

William

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I bought a used Surge Alamo vac pump for $100 but the new vac controller was $400 if I remember right. You can do some serious damage if your vacuum isn't right.

9. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

one could use a old AC car compressor and run it with a electric motor, make sure you put some kind of filter and catch system in front of it,

your controler (the part that limits vacuume is nessary)

and depending on how you do it,
    you will need a pulsator either mechincal or electrical, (my pulsator is electronic and also has the vacuum limiter on it, and gages.)