Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark 2:25-27 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

25And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need and was an hungred,, he, and they that were with him?

26How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Why did Jesus specifically state that David was in need when he ate the shewbread? Would it have made a difference if they had food in the camp, but it was moldy or not what they wanted to eat? Was he without sin when he ate the shewbread because of his dire circumstances?

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
He was without sin because God is merciful and David was in great need. I don't think it would have been ok for David to just waltz in and grab the Shewbread that was only for the priests to eat, but at that point there was nothing else. (There should have been food on the priest's table if people had been bringing their tithe and offering as they were supposed to so apparently the tithe was not being brought in.)

Jesus was using this example to show the Pharisees that God is merciful and gave the Sabbath for the benefit of man. The disciples were hungry and needed to eat some grain from a nearby field and the Pharisees were indignant that the men did "work" rather than go hungry.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By "doing work" or even by eating what was holy and only meant for the priests, David was not keeping the Sabbath holy, which is one of the Ten Commandments? So in essence, he was sinning if you look at it by the Law alone, without God's mercy being involved?

But because God is merciful, and David was in great need, there was no sin in his breaking the commandment of God?

God is so merciful He will overlook what He Himself has told us is sin, and hold one blameless?

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Not exactly. Here is the passage Jesus was referring to:

1 Samuel 21 (King James Version)

1Then came David to Nob to Ahimelech the priest: and Ahimelech was afraid at the meeting of David, and said unto him, Why art thou alone, and no man with thee?

2And David said unto Ahimelech the priest, The king hath commanded me a business, and hath said unto me, Let no man know any thing of the business whereabout I send thee, and what I have commanded thee: and I have appointed my servants to such and such a place.

3Now therefore what is under thine hand? give me five loaves of bread in mine hand, or what there is present.

4And the priest answered David, and said, There is no common bread under mine hand, but there is hallowed bread; if the young men have kept themselves at least from women.

5And David answered the priest, and said unto him, Of a truth women have been kept from us about these three days, since I came out, and the vessels of the young men are holy, and the bread is in a manner common, yea, though it were sanctified this day in the vessel.

6So the priest gave him hallowed bread: for there was no bread there but the shewbread, that was taken from before the LORD, to put hot bread in the day when it was taken away.
It was not lawful for David and his men to eat the shewbread. Only the priests were to eat it, yet the priest gave the bread to David and his men. Here is Matthew Henry's commentary from Bible gateway on this passage:
David with Ahimelech.

David, in distress, fled to the tabernacle of God. It is great comfort in a day of trouble, that we have a God to go to, to whom we may open our cases, and from whom we may ask and expect direction. David told Ahimelech a gross untruth. What shall we say to this? The Scripture does not conceal it, and we dare not justify it; it was ill done, and proved of bad consequence; for it occasioned the death of the priests of the Lord. David thought upon it afterward with regret. David had

great faith and courage, yet both failed him; he fell thus foully through fear and cowardice, and owing to the weakness of his faith. Had he trusted God aright, he would not have used such a sorry, sinful shift for his own preservation. It is written, not for us to do the like, no, not in the greatest straits, but for our warning. David asked of Ahimelech bread and a sword. Ahimelech supposed they might eat the shew-bread. The Son of David taught from it, that mercy is to be preferred to

sacrifice; that ritual observances must give way to moral duties. Doeg set his foot as far within the tabernacle as David did. We little know with what hearts people come to the house of God, nor what use they will make of pretended devotion. If many come in simplicity of heart to serve their God, others come to observe their teachers and to prove accusers. Only God and the event can distinguish between a David and a Doeg, when both are in the tabernacle. (1Sam 21:10-15)
And the commentary for the first passage:
The sabbath is a sacred and Divine institution; a privilege and benefit, not a task and drudgery. God never designed it to be a burden to us, therefore we must not make it so to ourselves. The sabbath was instituted for the good of mankind, as living in society, having many wants and troubles, preparing for a state of happiness or misery. Man was not made for the sabbath, as if his keeping it could be of service to God, nor was he commanded to keep it outward observances to his real hurt. Every observance respecting it, is to be interpreted by the rule of mercy.
The Pharisees on more than one occasion condemned Jesus for healing on the Sabbath. Did Jesus sin by healing on the Sabbath?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the lie? That they had been away from women?

I thought that's what they were inferring, that Jesus was sinning by healing on the Sabbath?

So I thought Jesus was saying, David didn't sin when he ate the shewbread,
and neither am I sinning when I am healing on the Sabbath.

So, did David sin or not, when he ate the shewbread?

Or was mercy a covering for the sin?

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
The lie was that David was on an errand for Saul, when in actual fact David was fleeing from Saul. Asking the priests for help put their lives in danger and later Saul had most of the priests slain for assisting David.

The Pharisees were accusing Jesus of sin because He did work (healing) on the Sabbath.

David broke the letter of the ceremonial law by eating the Shewbread. According to the Pharisees, Jesus broke the letter of the ceremonial law by healing on the Sabbath. In another place Jesus asked the Pharisees if they would let an ox stay in a ditch if it fell in on the Sabbath or if they would pull it out. He asked them if they did not each untie the ox from the stall and lead it to water. They all were willing to do "work" on the Sabbath out of mercy for the dumb animals' suffering, but were not willing to show the same mercy to fellow human beings who were also suffering.

The point is, the Pharisees would hold to the letter of the law but do everything they could to get around the Spirit of the law.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Altho David lied to get the bread, and others paid with their lives, God held David blameless.

So, if someone steals from me, who is in dire need, are they sinning?

Or are they blameless?

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
David did not steal the bread, it was given to him. He did not set out to injure the priests and the injury was indirect, although David accepted the blame for it. The priests did not die because of David's lie, but because they assisted him. Saul did a great wrong by killing the priests.

If someone is stealing from you, they are sinning, even if they are in dire need. Hopefully you will have mercy and forgive them.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't want to confuse the issue but one thing to consider when dealing with Law, we are not declared blameless by our deeds (or misdeeds) of the law. No man can keep the law, only Christ was able to fulfill the law perfectly. We are declared blameless (or righteous) because of our belief.

I think Jesus was pointing out that sometimes people get so hung up on things (or in the case of the story, their motives are only to trip someone up or find fault with them and judge them) that they throw common sense out the window. I read the story of David more that he and his troops were hungry and there was no other food to offer, therefore, they gave him what they had, even though it was ceremonially "unlawful". So, in other words if a family came to your house on a Saturday and they were starving and you followed a religion that said you could not cook on the Saturday, would you turn them away or would you cook them a meal?

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
David did not sin by eating the showbread and the priests were right to give it to him freely because David was not saved by the law, but was fully righteous by faith in God through the hearing and believing of God and by knowing Jesus Christ. This was known in spirit by those with ears to hear and eyes to see. David was made king over Israel by the power of God.

You will see that the Pharisees (who believed they were righteous and believed they knew God, but did not) were confounded when Jesus told them that David called Him king. There is only one righteousness that is life and that is to know Jesus Christ resurrected. A person will ask how could Abraham or David know that? The answer is in Rev 13:18 ".... the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Although the physical manifestation of that happened some 2000 years ago, God is outside of time and for believers salvation has always been Jesus Christ.

John 8:56-58

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it , and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. " Abraham was also saved by Jesus.

Jesus also said that no man EVER comes to the Father except through Him. This is true. This has always been true - God does not change.

John 14:6

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. "

As for the Law of Moses, it was given for the hardness of men's hearts, for the sake of judgment against those that have not given their hearts to Jesus Christ. It is also for the sake of condemning all men as unworthy of salvation, convicting our hearts of our inability to be saved by our actions. No man was ever saved by the Law of Moses, but instead the message is, "all found in sin must die" and that we are all found in sin. Therefore, we may die today to our own self righteousness and call out for a Savior, or we will die in our sins later and reap the fullness of our life here.

David was greatly loved by God. Our salvation rests in being found in the same Spirit that Abraham and David followed. Our salvation rests in the authority that God invested in these two men as "the father of our faith" (Abraham lived by faith and was led by the Spirit of God.) and "the king of Israel" - God promised there would always be a king of the lineage of David on the throne of Israel and He was talking about Jesus Christ, not the flesh. If we follow any other spirit than to be able to call Abraham "Father" and David "King", then we do not follow Jesus Christ, but another spirit claiming to be Jesus Christ.

Matthew 22:31-32

"But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. "

Luke 1:31-33

"And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. "

We are to be of the house of Abraham, a Gentile that was called out of this world to be led by the Spirit of God through Jesus Christ, and of His seed... and Jesus sits on the throne of David - that authority.

So... this is long and the point is likely lost by now... but David walked in the Sabbath, in Jesus Christ, whose power IS of the Seventh day and not the six (the world). Therefor, David had authority to pick up or put down the show bread as needed or even desired, just as Jesus does has the authority over Sabbath. The whole thing is about position and authority. Jesus is above the Law, He supersedes it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input!

I didn't actually have someone stealing from me, I am just trying to understand the Scriptures. I am told each word is important, so for Jesus to say "he was in need and hungered" seems to imply that his need had something to do with him being blameless.

I have several other Scriptures I wonder about. I will post some more and appreciate your answers very much!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
so for Jesus to say "he was in need and hungered" seems to imply that his need had something to do with him being blameless.
No, I can see where it might be confusing but Cyngbaeld did a great job of explaining. Every word is important but you have to take into account the context. Saying David was in need and hungered simply laid out the facts...he had a need for food/nourishment. He wasn't there just to grab a snack. His hunger was not a trivial matter. The priests didn't break the ceremonial law just to give David a snack. It was an important circumstance...just like the ox in the well would be important and healing someone is important. However, you need distinguish the ceremonial law from the moral law. Feeding a hungry person ceremonial bread is not the same as stealing bread. Like Cyngbaeld said,
The point is, the Pharisees would hold to the letter of the law but do everything they could to get around the Spirit of the law.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts