coughing goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by orphy, Jun 6, 2006.

1. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

:help: I have a few goats mostly boers and four dorper cross ewes. My goats have been coughing and the other day someone had a small amount of snot visible. The coughing is notvery frequent and they don't seem to be in distress. I also have noticed a few of them grinding their teeth. I am new again to the goats and have just started with the sheep. I got some pennicillin but am not sure what dose to give and for how long. can anyone help me with this.

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

First of all, I would take the goats' temperatures. Normal goat temperatures are from 101.5 - 104F. I would not give antibiotics unless the goat has a fever. For respiratory infections, Nuflor is the drug of choice. You get it from the vet and give 3cc per 100 lb. Goats can get coughs and snotty noses from mold or dust in their hay. Some goats can sound like they are grinding their teeth when they chew their cud. True grinding is a sign of pain and my first response to that is a dose of probios.

3. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

thanks for the suggestion. I will check them as I said they seem in absolutely no distress. They do like to lay in an ash pile from a long gone fire. It seems to help with the bugs so I have been letting them. But maybe its making them cough?