coughing doeling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Oct 21, 2004.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, got my first possibly sick goat. Need your advice....

We had a cold snap two weeks ago here in WI and it was 26 degrees one morn (we're back up to 40ish morns now) and that evening Pixie had a boogery nose, but was clean the next morning and hasn't had any since. The last two days I've noticed her coughing quite a bit, no discharge at all. No, I didn't take her temp either. She's an April baby and is about 30 pounds.

Thanks,
    Jenny (and Pixie!)

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I'd take her temp. Anything else different about her? Does she seem just as active? Eat okay, etc? How do her gums look? Eyes?

What type of goat is she? 30 pounds for an April baby seems awfully small, unless she's a pigmy?

-Sarah

3. dbarjacres

Pixie is a registered fainter. most of my does only run 80ish pounds when adults, so she's average. She honestly looks just like a Nigerian, but I am friends with her breeder, know her mother, and there were no Nigerian bucks on that farm. She's just short and fat - like a little butterball! She was begging for attention and food tonite yet when I fed.

Jenny

4. HSBoers

HSBoers New Member

Hi to Jenny and Pixie:

Coughing goat with clear nasal discharge and no fever. Could be
    some moldy feed etc or parasites. Coughing goat with fever of (higher than the other goats - (normal temps can range from 101.5 to 104 sometimes) and yellow or green nasal discharge. Could be just a pasturella type cold or could be pneumonia. Take her temp as you don't want her to die of pneumonia which can happen very fast.
    Try some Vet RX it works wonders.
    If she has a fever - you could try some Penicillin - just in case it's pneumonia. AHT

5. dbarjacres

Hi,
    Thanks for the tips. I did take Pixie's temp and she was 106.3. The weather was very damp and 50 degrees yesterday, and I locked Pixie and her 5 little friends in the big stall last nite as it was very windy and pouring and she stood in the corner, that's when I took her temp. Gave her Nutri Drench, which she loved, probiotics, ran to the farm store and got some LA200 and gave her that and some banamine, and she started feeling better really fast. Have to get outside yet this morning and check her. My poor little girl.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Glad you took her temp. She likley has pnemonia, the LA200 is fine for this, the Banamine will keep her temp down so she doesn't dehydrate, and it simply makes them feel better. Keep up with the LA200 for 5 days, 3cc per 100 pounds and give it subq. Next time purchase Biomycin or one of the other 200mg tetracyclines that don't have such a powerful stinging carrier. Watch the other does, most pnemonias that strike this time of year are contagious. Vicki

7. dbarjacres

Thanks Vicki for the advice. I did actually buy the generic version oxy-tet. I just said LA200, cause lots of people just know drug brand names and not the drug itself - like I just learned this one last nite at Fleet Farm!

I do believe I am experiencing my first contagious Pneumonia. This morning when I went out, Moo was VERY sick, tail sucked in, droopy, miserable and very snotty and off feed, so she got dosed with anti's too. Her temp was fine last nite (we checked a few of the other doelings that were coughing). Also more coughing this morning from Fawnie and Rosie and more snot than previous, so they got shots too.

Good news is tonite, every one was out on the lawn for awhile and they were all chowing down on weeds and leaves, gobbled up the grain I gave them and all seem perky and no snot to be seen. Hope all survive this!

Thanks, Jenny (and the girls)

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Even if they start feeling better, keep up with the antibiotics. The Banamine not only helps with the swelling in the lungs, but the temp, and makes them feel soo much better. Have your brought in anyone new? Pasturella is always a concern with new stock, the quite quickly infect the whole group. If you have any problems with relapse please don't hesitate to use a feed through chloratetracycline, CTC found at all large feed stores and mills, its a crumble for calves, added to our grain, calf dosage, that can be fed most of the winter. Obviously not for does you are drinking the milk from, but it can be a bugger to get rid of. It also scars the lungs forever, giving you animals with chronic coughs for life. One of those times you have to go after it aggressively, like mastitis, because the tired old song most do leaves you with not the best of results.

Sounds like you caught this nice and early. Vicki