coughing doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Barb Marks, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

I have a pregnant doe which is coughing, she is due to kid anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks from now. Are antibiotics at that pregnant stage dangerous for the unborn kids? What other remedies (preferably natural ones) are out there. The cough seems to be dry and short, but not really hacking.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Barb
    I would check your hay and sleeping quarters first, make sure the hay is not moldy and kneel down on her floor and see if your pants get damp. Even tho we clean and add more straw or bedding and it looks dry, tis possible it is not and this is urine and will put off amonia smell which the goats breath in constantly. Both these things will cause them to cough. Then I would give her vitamin C and something like benadryl people stuff with will work if it is just an allergy cough. The Vitamin C will help also if she is coming down with something. I would take her temp as a first step to seeing if it is something more than just a cough. If she has a temp then I would be starting on an antibiotic and they do make an herbal antibiotic mixture if you don't want to go conventional. herbs like garlic, enchenacia (sp) are immune builders.

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with Sondra about the hay and the barn.

Do her eyes or nose show any discharge ?

Definitely take her temp. that would give you an indication if there is infection going on which would necessitate antibiotic. You don't want to give antibiotics if not needed because of resistance issues.

Has your weather been changing, damp, rainy or the like. We are getting ready for winter here in Michigan and have been getting lots of rain so I have been putting lots of dry bedding in.

Also, when was or is she due for worming ? You may want to worm her if you haven't done that recently.

I give my goaties liquid Vitamin C on a graham cracker and they love it ! Others give there's chewable tablets and they accept those readily. If you have the tablets, try those if not - get out some graham or soda crackers.

Keep us posted.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Good thought Trish and I didn't think abt lung worms causing the coughing.
    Oh and my goats eat regular old yucky tasting peoples vit c and think it is candy. :rolleyes:

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Dear Barb, My thought is that since she is so late in her preg. that at this stage the rumen gets shoved around to make room for babies. I feel that this could also be a digestion problem. Do you think that she could be caughing up her cud more than before because of this? I would make sure that I kept plenty of baking soda where she can get to.
    If she has no temp., eats good and seems to feel ok and she continues this caughing after she kids, then maybe treatment. Hope she does ok.

6. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Yes, this is entirely possible, especially with multiple kids in there.

Barb, is the doe a first freshener . . . and what breed of goat is the doe ?

If the doe is not complaining exceptionally and her eating, drinking, poop, and temps are normal then it's probably nothing to worry about.

But, ya know how us goatie people can be . . . I think I worry more about my critters than my two legged critters - just ask my hubby (I think he gets jealous sometimes ;) !)

7. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

The doe is a boer cross and is a first timer. She was free ranging and not kept in a barn . We got her last week when we bought 20 replacement boer crosses that are due to kid out the end of the month. She seems healthy and eats good
    I think she is only about a year and half old

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

when my goat did this, it turned out to be lungworm. cleared right up with ivermectin 1cc/ 100# body weight.