Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I picked up a heifer at the auction. She is now coughing. Seems to be if I put pressure on her neck or when she gets up. I know calves can go down real quick. She has no trotskis, weepy eyes, fever or anything. She is eating great. I just introduced her to hay could that be it?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
How old is she Judith? I was thinking little calf but reading your post again, I suspect it may be an older animal. If so, do you know when she was last drenched? Sounds as though it could be lung worm and a drench on a new animal doesn't go amiss anyway.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Hi! When we have coughing calves, mostly in the late winter early spring (when temps are up and down)... we give shots of spectam (it's an antibiotic, that says its for poultry, but works just fine for cattle and goats)....

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys sorry I dint post her age ( woops) she is between 3-4 weeks of age. Not a bad find for 20 bucks! Her mother died at the auction so at least we know she is not a free martin. Mom was old ( should not have been sold ) she passed on just after giving birth at the auction... SHe has had colostrum. I just worry about the auction environment!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
How gross. Why are animals in this condition even allowed to get to the auctions? Under those circumstances you should have been given the calf!! However, that's not the problem - or maybe it is. As you say, the auction environment is probably far from good so to put your mind at rest, and to give this calf a good start, why not have a yarn with your vet and see what they suggest.

Good luck with her; do you intend to milk her in the due course of time?

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
281 Posts
Judith said:
Hi guys sorry I dint post her age ( woops) she is between 3-4 weeks of age. Not a bad find for 20 bucks! Her mother died at the auction so at least we know she is not a free martin. Mom was old ( should not have been sold ) she passed on just after giving birth at the auction... SHe has had colostrum. I just worry about the auction environment!
That's terrible. Honetsly if the auction permited a cow like that to be sold there are probably some sick animals that ran through there, there usually always are but I imagine you saw some gravidly sick animals. I would call your vet for a recomendation on antibiotic use, naxcell or something strong like that should kick out an upper respiratory infection but if she's not running a fever it could be chronic cough. Our drop calf heifer had it when she was younger and we had to keep her on medicated calf feed however this was after she was weaned.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I looked for medicated calf feed in our area and could not find it! So she is one the regular milk replacer. Still bright as a button, but that cough.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.