coughing buckling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Mar 8, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 5 week old fainter buckling that's had a bit of a cough the last 5-6 days. It was just a little hack you'd here once in a while when around him, but today, he coughed so bad, he fainted himself. At that exact moment, the vet pulled in to draw blood on a horse for a coggins test and I told him what just happened, so he checked him out. Said he seems healthy, no rattly lungs, no nasal discharge (never has been) and he eats and plays fine. His cough today is more like when you get a cold and cough up some of that wonderful goop. It's really freakin' cold in Wisconsin right now, with really bad extremes, it was 60 a few weeks ago, then cold teens, then up to 50 on Sunday, now we're below zero again at night and during the day too with windchill. GRRRR... He's not locked in a stuffy barn either, they have well bedded calf hutches and a paddock to roam in. The other 3 kids and the 3 does out there have no problems at all. Any ideas?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Well, he could just be reacting to the weather extremes.

Or, he could be coming down with pneumonia. I'd probably give him a vitamin B shot and some Vet Rx just for an immune system boost. I'd also see if I can get him to eat a vitamin C tablet. I wouldn't give him any antibiotics unless his temperature is up. Just keep an eye on him...

3. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

Maybe spring is coming and your buckling has hayfever. I have a three year old doe that has breathing problems (very easily out of breath) and she either has allergies or scar tissue from pneumonia as a kid. I know of a few cows that have allergy coughs. Just some thoughts.

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Mine are coughing right now, too. Asked the vet about it (he has about 90 goats). He said his are going through a "cold" also.

He recommended a medicated crumble to top coat the feed. Said it was good for pregnant does, too. The stuff he gave me was CTC 10, Type B Medicated Pellet with Chlortetracycline. It looks like it was made for cattle or swine. This has Chlortetracycline at 10 grams/lb. and to feed to goats at a rate of 1 lb. per 25 head. He told me to use it for 5-10 days. The goats seem to be getting over their cough, but the weather turned cold again which might affect it.

Note, there is a withdrawal time if you are going to butcher/market the kids but I think it was only like a week or so.