Cough

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Oct 25, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I mentioned this earlier but I thought it had went away....

I have a 3yo Nubian and I thought maybe at first it was just something she got in her nose while eating that made her snort.... but now I Am not so sure.

When ever it gets cool, wet and windy I notice this occasional cough.. I have heard it a couple times in the field and in her stall. This morning all the hay was gone when I got to her this morning and I heard her snort/cough.

The local farm store doesn't carry much. I went looking for VetX which someone suggested and that was a no go... they do have pennicillin but I didn't want to give her something that she didn't need....

:shrug: I am a newbie so any help is appreicated!

TIA.
    Christie

2. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

I have a Lamancha that always seems to have a 'on off' cough

Vet has looked her over and me being paranoid all the time, says it just could be a 'Dora' thing. Dora is her name.

I have found if I give her LA 200 when it gets cold and crappy out--seems to help out. Plus Pro Bios really helps. I only give her LA200 for a few days.

I get it at TSC

April

3. christij

Pro Bios I have! I don't know why I didn't think of that!!!! I prefer less drugs anyway.... =) And I am the paranoid type! Do you have to order LA200? I'm not fimilar with it...

4. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

I can get LA 200 at TSC? Do you have a Tractor Supply Co.?

you can also order it from Hoegger's goat store online or catalog.

They love honey also, Ive given warm water with a bit of honey. She goes nut-so over it!

LA 200 is a mild antibiotic.

April

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Coughs......some goats just have an occaisional cough. If it is a wet, hacky cough, then I worry. If its a cough with snot and blowing, I worry. If its just something I hear now and then, I don't even think about it. Goats do cough. :shrug:
    This wet cold weather is perfect for bringing out snotty noses and hacky coughs. For that, I use vitamin c and vet-RX or eucalyptus oil. If snotty nose and wet cough is accompanied by listlessness or lack of appetite, I don't wait, I hit them with Nuflor, as that is probably the start of Pnuemonia. If its just a slight cough, or just a snotty nose, I first try to let them beat it themselves, maybe just boosting their immune system with Probiotics, vitamin C and vitamin B. Most of the time they get over it alone. Is that any help at all?? I can't say which to do as I can't hear the cough.......... :)
    Also, if her hay is dusty at all, that will cause them to stop eating and snort/cough to clear their noses. Slight dustiness is not to worry, excessive dustiness is very undesirable.
    And if the goat in question is a piggy eater(as in buries her nose in the hay and munches instead of picking mouthfulls out), they will also cough and snort just to clear their nasal pasages and nostrils, dusty hay or not. As long as its not a wet, hacky cough, its ok.

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

One of my does has allergies. They kick in whenever the weather changes, and she coughs, snots, gags, goes through all the motions of being deathly ill, except she never loses her appetite or her rude attitude. The vet has seen her for this several times and her lungs are clear. Now I have my own stethoscope. I give her benedryl when she's particularily coughy.

7. christij

DocM -- allergies! Does the vet have any idea what sets her off? Not that is much you can probably do about it. There was a polar bear at the STL zoo that was allergic to all the pollen! Poor Churchill - he was an itchy bear.