Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to make my own cough syrups, anyone have any old recipes or ideas on this? I think it would probally start with a whiskey, or brandy...any one know???

Belinda

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
For Influenza and Sore Throat

This recipe is found in Medicinal Plants of the West Indies by Edward S. Ayensu.

2 tablespoons small red peppers or 3 cayenne peppers

2 tablespoons fine salt

1 cup boiling water

1 cup very sharp vinegar

Beat the peppers and the salt together into a paste and infuse this in the boiling water. Strain. When the mixture has cooled, add the vinegar.

Yield: 2 cups

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/healing3.html

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
Jagermeister

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This is what my dad used to give us.........don't know if it worked on our coughs or if it just put us to sleep! :haha:

~1 part Southern Comfort
~1 part honey
~1 part prepared brown mustard

mix together. (Dad would give us a tablespoon at bedtime when we had a bad cough)

·
Registered
717 Posts
For sore throat, my grandmother used to mix softened butter and sugar and we could ahve a spoonful of that. For colds, she liked hot lemonade. I can't remember anything in particular for cough.

That mixture with the hot peppers and vinegar sure sounded like Tabasco sauce! :eek: I bet that would set you right up! Kill you or cure you!

Ann

·
Registered
356 Posts
Golly, I just drink lemon tea with honey!!!

But the colonists used a syrup made from the marsh mallow (not kidding, it is the same plant we used to make marshmallows from) since the syrup would coat the throat. FYI

U

·
0 Posts
cloverfarm said:
For sore throat, my grandmother used to mix softened butter and sugar and we could ahve a spoonful of that. For colds, she liked hot lemonade.

Hot lemonade IS good, especially when the cough is due to alot of thick gunk in the throat (not lungs)...laced with lots of honey. Very soothing. (Adding a little of that Southern Comfort, etc could be nice too.)

A

·
Registered
639 Posts
Assuming we're talking for adults here, I just use blackberry brandy, straight. You can heat it up a bit and that's nice.

For sore throats and coughs, a non-alcoholic way to go is a tea with lemon, thyme and violets. Honey is a natural expectorant, though I'm not positive of any cough suppressants (I don't believe that you should suppress a cough most of the time - your body is trying to get *rid* of the icky nasties, not keep them there to let your lungs fill up with it).

Good luck!

Sarah

·
Registered
717 Posts
Unregistered said:
cloverfarm said:
For sore throat, my grandmother used to mix softened butter and sugar and we could ahve a spoonful of that. For colds, she liked hot lemonade.

Hot lemonade IS good, especially when the cough is due to alot of thick gunk in the throat (not lungs)...laced with lots of honey. Very soothing. (Adding a little of that Southern Comfort, etc could be nice too.)

A
WHOOOAAAA not my grandma! :haha: I'm sure she thought Southern Comfort was some kind of quilt pattern.

Ann

U

·
0 Posts
My mom used to make a cough syrup as follows.

Boil lemons and sugar until a thick syrup

Add some honey

Add some whiskey or southern comfort.

How much of the above I don't know, but it sure was good and effective!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, there are a lot of different "recipes"...
I like to be prepared and was looking for a great recipe.
I am gonna try some of these.
I really want one that Keeps for a while on the shelf, so that i can have it when i need it and not have to whip one up in a hurry some long cold night...
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming.
this is very interesting.

Belinda

R

·
0 Posts
1 part brandy. (non fruit flavored)

1 part lemon juice.

1 part honey.

Mix all together and store in fridge for when needed. Some people use fruit flavored brandy but the taste kind of clashes with the lemon and honey.

Also you can just sip on brandy alone and if you want to do that then buy a bottle of "Hot Damn" brandy. This is a real hot spicey cinnamon tasting brandy.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
HOREHOUND COUGH SYRUP

Make an old-time cough remedy by mixing horehound tea with honey. Make an infusion by steeping 1 ounce of fresh or dried horehound leaves in a pint of boiling water. Allow it to steep only 10 minutes.
Strain off the leaves, then measure the quantity of liquid remaining. Add twice as much honey as liquid, mix well, and bottle.
To soothe a cough, take 1 teaspoon at a time, about 4 times a day!!
Taken from: Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Herbs

HOREHOUND CANDY

3 qts. horehound leaves
2 cups sugar

First pick the horehound leaves. They need to be picked before the first frost but they can be dried. The plant grows in the wild in bunches about two by three feet. It is about fifteen inches tall with its leaves three-fourths of an inch by one inch.

Horehound is used to make many things including tea, candy and cough drops. To make candy, you should have about 3 quarts of leaves lying loosely in the pan.

Put horehound leaves in a 4 quart pan. Fill up with water and boil until there is only 1 cup of liquid left in the pan. The more you boil it, the stronger it gets. Strain the leaves out. Boil liquid and sugar to hard ball stage. Pour in a greased pan. When slightly cool cut in the desired shape. The candy will get hard.

Horehound Cough Sweets

4 oz Fresh White Horehound Leaves
1/2 t Crushed Aniseseed
3 Crushed Cardamom Seeds
1 pt Water
12 oz White Sugar
12 oz Brown Sugar

Put herbs into water and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain through a filter. Over a low heat, dissolve sugars into the infusion and boil over a medium heat until the syrup hardens when drops are put into cold water. Pout into an oiled tray. Score when partially cooled. Store wrapped individually in waxed papers (like taffy).

Old-Fashioned Horehound Drops

1 ounce dried horehound leaves or 6 ounces fresh leaves
3 cups very hot water
3 1/2 pounds brown sugar
2 teaspoons peppermint extract

Pour very hot water over the horehound. Steep 30 minutes, while keeping on
low heat. Strain. Add sugar and dissolve. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until mixture reaches 295 degrees F. (the temperature for brittle candy). Add peppermint, then drop mixture quickly on a buttered board, half a teaspoon at a time, or pour into a shallow, buttered pan and cut into squares before it completely hardens.

Horehound Candy

1 1/4 cups water
2 cups fresh horehound leaves or 1 cup dried horehound
4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup

Put the water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, add
the horehound, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture stand for 1 hour to infuse.
Strain the liquid and discard the horehound. Add the sugar and the corn syrup to the liquid, and boil it to the hard-crack stage - 300ºF on a candy
thermometer.
Pour the syrup into a buttered 12 x 8-inch pan. When the candy begins to set, mark it into squares with the tip of a sharp knife. Cut the candy into pieces when cold.

·
plains of Colorado
4,142 Posts
I got this book on vacation: The American Frugal Housewife 1833 (reprint)...I can't find the exact recipe right now but will look later. It was horseradish & something for congestion. I don't think I'd try it on a child but maybe an adult. We have horseradish and were laughing about the recipe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just use blackberry brandy, straight.

Sarah[/QUOTE]

Sarah,

Is that blackberry brandy that you make yourself? Do you have a recipe?

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Hi Y'all,

I'm an old Home-brewer, so I have good sweet Mead, at the house.
I make something called "Methligin", an old Scottish word, for
"medicine", AIUI.

I fill a gallon jug half full of the sweet, strong mead. To this I add
8 oz. of Everclear, to fortify it.
In one of my sterilized hop-bags I put
1 oz anise seed,
1 oz. fennel seed,
1/2 to 1 oz. of dried snakeroot,(SN is optional)
2 or 3 sticks of cinnamon bark,
and, 12 oz, of light clover honey,
Then I put this in the jug and,
I top it off with more of the sweet Mead.

I set it aside, in a dark place to steep for about 30 days or so.
I take out the spice bag & let the jug sit, a couple weeks to settle out.
I bottle in 6 or eight oz. bottles.(6 is enough)
Heat 3 or 4 oz. in a cup, for 20secs, in the MW, or a min. or 2,
on the stove, to warm it up.
It's what we in our Family, use for chest congestion &
helps with a deep cough.
I would not give it to anyone else though.
OBTW, with the snakeroot, it tastes 'NASTY'.
Otherwise, not bad.

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
whiskey with honey and a peppermint dissolved in it and a bed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Put Humbugs (a hard candy I pick up in the drugstore) in a clean jar, cover with whisky and let sit until the candy is disolved, 4-5 days, crushing the humbugs speeds the process along. Stir thoroughly and keep in your cupboard. The whisky warms and the liquified humbugs holds the warm coating on a soar throat. If it starts to crystalize after a couple months add a little more whisky. I usually get through a winter without it crystalizing but that depends on how early in the season I make it. I have even given this in a nice jar as part of a gift basket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts