cough help please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tonasket, Apr 5, 2006.

1. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

I'm going crazy, I am recovering from the flu and a nasty bout of strep throat. the anti biotics are taking care of the strep, however, this is the most persistant cough i've ever had, driving me nuts, using robitussin adult cough suppressant, it helps, but i'm still coughing ALOT, i just want it to quit so i can sleep. help. thanks.

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had some horrible bug too (without the strep) and the cough goes on FOREVER. I've actually heard it called the "hundred day cough". I've had this for 4 weeks and since Robitussin wouldn't stop it I got my doctor to prescribe cough medicine. It helps but doesn't get rid of it completely. I'd get a scrip if you can. Good luck!

3. MontanaVet

MontanaVet Member

When you go to bed use Vicks Vapor Rub on your upper lip and chest. Vicks Nyquil or Nyquil Cough (better) will help you sleep too if you can take it.

To keep your flu from mutating for several weeks get SAMBUCOL. You can order it off the internet or buy it at GNC. This stuff is great for stopping the flu so your body can take over. I hope I helped. MV out!

SAMBUCOL

4. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

i just tried a recipe off the web and it may just be helping
    2 cups water
    1 tsp. thyme
    1/2 tsp. oregano

heat to boiling, add lemon juice (called for lime, i only had lemon, so thats what i used) and sugar (they said it didn't matter how much) to taste.

i took 1/2 c.herb-y- tea, added 2 tsp. sugar, and 1 tsp. lemon juice, and drank it real warm, tastes not so good, seems to be working.

i'll post my results, and thanks for the help.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Jaegermeister: a fermented brew of over 30 herbs, fruits, and spices made by German monks.

6. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    This is what we use for cough with good results every time.

7. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Nyquil will do the trick. 40% alcohol

I've also gotten relief with 2 tablespoons of Jim Beam Whiskey and Honey.

I'm a non-drinker. Actually a teetotaler. Howver, Alcohol does have medicinal uses.

I know, I know, now somebody's gonna say they get sick every day....

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

I was just complaining to my mother Sunday about a persistant cough because of a ticklish throat and she told me to try a bit of grape juice. I had one of the kids pick some up in town and tried it that night. Amazing! The effects were almost instant.

Plain old grape juice, whodathunkit?

9. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Get yourself a nice big bar of dark chocolate - suck on it (don't chew it) a square at a time. Works great and tastes much better than Buckleys.

cheers,

10. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was desperately searching for a remedy on the internet, chocolate was something mentioned. They said the theobromine can act as a suppressant.

Nyquil didn't even help with this sucker and I took an entire bottle of Sambucol with no relief. Although Sambucol does taste good. I think I'm going to make my own next summer from our wild elderberries.

11. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Equal amounts of Honey, Lemon, and Whiskey, you can make just a little or a lot, will definitely help. Also, slice fresh ginger and boil in sugar water with cinnamon sticks (2 or 3) let it thicken, will work good for coughs. Get well soon.

12. dorightranch

dorightranch New Member

A horrible barking cough? This family has been horrible ill for nearly a month with colds, then the flu and now another round of colds. I've stayed well but I finally have a mild cold with this round.

ANYWAY... my DIL went to the doc today because she has had a terrible barking cough. Deep and violent. The doc thinks it's Whooping Cough. She went for a blood test (won't have results for 5 days) and a chest xray. The xray is clear. She was put on a strong antibiotic that is used for Whooping Cough. Now we wait to see if the test shows Whooping Cough or not. In the meantime she was given a narcotic cough syrup and she's finally sleeping.

We hear California is have a lot of Whooping Cough and the doc said Arizona (where we are) is too. Beware!

Dorightranch

13. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

If the cough keeps you up at night, I'd talk to the dr about some codeine or whatever else they'll give you - you've clearly tried the 'regular stuff' to no avail, so I'd say it's time to go for the big guns.

Here in Canada you can get Tylenol 1 over the counter and that has some codeine in it - a couple of those plus some cough syrup (checked with pharmacist of course for interactions first) sometimes helps put you over the edge and into la la land for the night.

During the day, I slice a lemon, put a few pieces in a mug and pour boiling water over them, then add enough honey till it tastes good. Helps keep me hydrated and soothes the throat some.

14. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

I'm trying this remedy myself! Went to bed at 8 pm & was back up @ midnight. Have vicks slapped on my nose & coughing like crazy. This recipe couldn't have came at a better time! Actually I put plenty of honey & lemon juice in it & I kind of like the taste. lol Thanks.:)

15. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

We always use a good, hot, strong Salt-water Gargle, once, every waking hour, until the cough & strep are GONE.
    Good old Country Remedy. Works every time for us.

Tastes Nasty, though.
    Use it along with a nice soothing cough syrup, or lozenges.
    Good Luck!

16. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I found this recipe somewhere, and it works well for me...

1/2 C honey
    1/4 C Lemon juice
    2 jiggers of brandy (about 3 oz)

Mix it all together really well, and take a couple spoonfuls every two hours or so.

17. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

Our MD gives us Procof. I miss paragoric. It went the way of Lye. More goverment its not good for you perameters. The Pancof works very well. Our yougest has a cough that boders on a bark. It is so deep sounding. He rests well with this med when it is needed.God Bless

18. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

Doesn't work. Went out twice last week and drank Jagerbombs. I'm still coughing (now, that is, I was feeling no pain that night).

19. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Go straight to the pharmacist and ask for Robitussin with Codeine. You don't need a prescription, you just need to sign for it in most states--they track your usage.S/he'll mix it right there, and it has enough codeine to get you off to sleep while the Robitussin does the trick. Mine is called "Cheratussin AC." Works great, just make sure you drink lots of water while taking it as codeine will make you pretty constipated really quick.

20. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

Cut up 3-4 small or 2 medium onions(peeled).
    Put them in a teflon or non stick pan.
    Heat until soft. Put as a poultice in an old towel or thick cloth.
    Put this on your chest and leave on until cold -at least one-half hour.

Yes, momentarily lift off if gets too hot.
    Sometimes I add a chopped raw clove of garlic to the onion before heating.

HTH
    Cathy S.