Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been really skeptical of anyone trying to say that there are cougers in Cannon County.
I heard just before daylight what I felt was a cry from one. Now not far from my house two ladies have evidently video taped one in their Hen House. Looks like were going wild.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
The Missouri Department of Conservation adamently denies that there are cougars in Missouri. About five years ago, a woman about 30 miles from here (mid-Mo) hit one on the highway and killed it. At least two hunters in the northern part of the state have pictures off their game cameras from this fall and winter of full grown cats. Evidentially, these are all "isolated incidences" of cats wandering 500 miles from their home territories into Missouri.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Heard on the news that TWRA had 7 cougers and a brown bear in a ravine in Big South Fork park.Thats near Clarkrange,TN about 80 or 90 miles from Woodbury.We live nearby.They evidently escaped from an exotic pet place.
I think thats how cougers get started up in places where there were none.They aren't afraid of people because they were raised by people and that makes them VERY dangerous.

We also have a black bear and her cub near our house.
Be careful around cougers and bears.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You'll know if it is a cougar call. It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.We don't have them in NE GA either. Thats why DH uncle has a picture of one in the back 40. DNR refused to believe the picture or the half eaten calf,or the mauled hound. :shrug:

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
They deny there are any in N. Ala too but my uncle has made multiple sightings on his place just across the woods from my folks. The last time he was only about 20 yards from it.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I sure hope there aren't any in S AL- but school mascot is a black panther and we often walk along nearby Panther Creek. (Usually with big dog!)

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
about ten years ago, my son saw one with two babies near my house. this was near snowbird mountain in the smokies, at the tn. nc line.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,432 Posts
At one time, a cougar had a den on my property. Don't know if it still does; the Pyrenees' nighttime barking and patrolling may have deterred it from residing in this immediate area and dining amongst my livestock. I DID hear the critter call one night, about 300 ft away from the house, a few years before I got the Pyrenees. The sound really DOES make your hair stand on end!

NeHi

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have a black panther within 1/2 mile of our house. It has been seen twice. But the Arkansas Game & Fish denies that we have them. Within the last year I know for a fact that 3 have been spotted. Just this past week about 25 miles from us, they have been losing some goats, Game & Fish said it was wild dogs, well one man that lives down there found a dead goat up in a tree. I never saw a dog that could climb a tree!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
hilltopheaven said:
We have a black panther within 1/2 mile of our house. It has been seen twice. But the Arkansas Game & Fish denies that we have them. Within the last year I know for a fact that 3 have been spotted. Just this past week about 25 miles from us, they have been losing some goats, Game & Fish said it was wild dogs, well one man that lives down there found a dead goat up in a tree. I never saw a dog that could climb a tree!!
what county are you in

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
They've crossed the MS River into IL too. And what is it with these people - ain't a tornado if one of us sees it, ain't a cougar/bear either I guess unless they have a body in reasonably good shape or a non-peon at DNR sees it. Yeesh, I'd rather error on the side of caution (no, there wasn't a cougar instead of we didn't know cougars were back in our state).

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Karenrbw said:
The Missouri Department of Conservation adamently denies that there are cougars in Missouri. About five years ago, a woman about 30 miles from here (mid-Mo) hit one on the highway and killed it. At least two hunters in the northern part of the state have pictures off their game cameras from this fall and winter of full grown cats. Evidentially, these are all "isolated incidences" of cats wandering 500 miles from their home territories into Missouri.
Funny you should mention this. I have an acquaintance in SE MO who raises sheep and she - along with several other area farmers - have been losing livestock left, right and center to cougars for several years now. She asked the MO Dept of Conservation why they insist that there are no cougars when everybody and his brother knows for a fact that there are. The Conservation agent said "if there is no breeding population, then we do not count individuals as they might be released pets, etc." So, I will presume that Tennessee might have the same guidelines.

donsgal

·
Registered
823 Posts
TWRA says that there are no Bear in middle TN, but my hunting buddy and I found what we are sure was bear sign right on the edge of the Cheatham Wildlife area, along Cumberland River, about 20 miles from Nashville. Talked to a lady at a little local grocery, she said a bunch of folks have claimed to have seen a mama bear and two cubs this spring.

galump

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have had 3 cougar sightings in San Antonio in the last 2 weeks. They have closed 3 parks do to it. I think the weird sightings have to do with all of the rain we have had recently.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Not only are there cougars, but there are black panther-like cats in northern Alabama and southern Tennessee. I have a friend in NW Alabama who videotaped one in the back yard in daylight. He called an Alabama Wildlife official, who denied any such thing lived anywhere close, and insisted it was a house cat. He then asked if he could meet to show him the tape "so you can tell me if this is a housecat."

After the official had seen the tape, my friend asked, "What was that?"

His exact reply: "I'd say that was a large black feline in excess of 100 pounds...but you didn't hear it from me." (In other words, let'd don't scare folks.)

I have seen the tape. BIG black cat. He said it visited his back yard in daylight several days in a row.

I got out of my car one full moonlit night on my south central Tennessee farm (one of those where the moonlight makes it seem like daylight), to see the neighbor's German Shepherd hightail it past me about 15 feet away, then make a sharp U-turn around some trees. Chasing its tail and right behind was a large cat, black, with long tail, of the same approximate size as the dog (80-90 pounds). The only sounds were the dog's footfalls and breathing, which also indicates cat. They make no noise when running.

OH YEAH, they are out there. The Cherokee have an old legend that when the black panther returns to the lands of the Cherokee, the change times have come. I always thought that interesting. especially after seeing one on my own place. My theory is that they have HUGE territories, so they are not often spotted. Even a lil bocat will hunt 50 square miles, so it's possible.

I'd also add that a bobcat's cry, which sounds like the shriek of a frightened woman, is often mistaken for that of a cougar or larger cat.

There's all kinds of this stuff, though. There are supposed to be NO black bears in NE Alabama, but a friend on the way to work saw one eating on a deer carcass just 15 miles north of Huntsville, in a fairly settled area.

NAAAAH...no way.... :p

Remember, all of this was once the natural range of cougars and deer.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wouldn't be surprized if there were cougars and bears in most of the states. I mean, why not? I remember a few years back a little 3yo in the rockies of CO, went missing from his hiking party, the only thing they could figure was that a cat got him.......I for one am spooked when hiking around the mountains......and don't find it quite as fun as I used too.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Marilyn in CO said:
Wouldn't be surprized if there were cougars and bears in most of the states. I mean, why not? I remember a few years back a little 3yo in the rockies of CO, went missing from his hiking party, the only thing they could figure was that a cat got him.......I for one am spooked when hiking around the mountains......and don't find it quite as fun as I used too.
During those unfortunate times when dh and I were in Colorado, he liked to gold pan up in the mountains. I usually was on "cougar watch" LOL. Like I would have the faintest clue what to do if I saw one other than yell my head off.

Fortunately, humans are not on their regular menu. Unless you are a kid or are running/biking most likely a big cat is not going to bother you. Unless it is sick or injured or old, that is and needs some "easy prey" rather than going after it's regular food source. I shudder to think how many times there was most probably a big cat watching me wondering if I would be tasty enough and deciding against it.

donsgal

1 - 20 of 49 Posts