cotton tail rabbits vs rabbit tractors, etc

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sunshine estate, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

Much to my surprise I just saw one of the largest wild rabbits I've ever seen - in among my rabbit cages that are on the ground...at first I wondered if it was a domestic rabbit gone wild, but it has the typical short ears of the cotton tail and the color, at least the ones we have here are like this, except this one is big - maybe eating the rabbit food has helped him grow...

This caused me to realize one problem of the rabbit tractor or "free range" rabbits that I haven't seen mentioned - that of wild rabbits introducing diseases and parasites...one good thing, the nest box cages are in our fenced area where the dog is, so the babies should escape exposure

And after I've worked so hard to keep new rabbits isolated from my herd! Grrrrrr

We'll be having wild rabbit stew sometime later - if I'm feeding it, I'm eating it (except the cats and dog - uh, and dh and kids)...and if it's okay to introduce another topic, I think I remember my mother saying that her family never shot wild rabbits for food except in the colder weather, that in the spring and summer, they'd have worms. Is this just another "old wive's tale"?

2. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

They can have worms, and 'warbles' which are these nasty bots that get into their skin. Depends on your part of the country, more parasites in the south.

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Parasites and other nasties in hot weather may also be why hunting season for rabbits is during the cold months for our on protection.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

our own protection is a happy side effect, hunting seasons are based around breeding seasons, rabbit season is in the winter because the wild rabbit here in the states (the cottontail) which is a differint speices than the European Wild rabbit which our rabbits are derived from, has its breeding season in the spring and summer, so to be able to keep a balance your not supposed to hunt when you could end up with a mother rabbit feeding kits.
    just like in Deer the Doe season is held before they are pregnant or before the pregnancy is very far along, and the doe numbers are more closely limeted in most areas than avaliable Buck numbers.

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

On the topic of keeping wild rabbits away from your pastured ones, why not use electrified netting from places like www.kencove.com? They do make a portable fencing specifically for keeping small wild animals OUT of certain areas.