Cottage Industry Ideas...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by donsgal, Sep 10, 2005.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

DH and I just purchased our little piece of paradise - 26 acres- 24 of which are heavily wooded.

We're trying to come up with some ideas to make money on the ranch. Because of the terrain, we cannot farm (it's very sloped), and livestock in any quantity is right out.

We are thinking of some kind of agroforest product. Hickory chips for city folks to use in their bbq and smokers, biomass fuel production, ginseng.

In the summer months we'll be having a produce stand since we live VERY close to a "hoity-toity" subdivision where people cannot have gardens (covenants and restrictions). So I think we'll have a good chance to sell some 'maters and cukes to those folks during the growing season.

But I'm looking for ideas for the winter - anybody got any? Thanks.

donsgal

2. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

With all those trees, perhaps rustic or
    bentwood furniture? Firewood sold in
    bundles? Self-guided snipe hunts? :rolleyes:

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Christmas trees, pumpkins, cornstalks, Indian corn, apples, cider, hayrides (horse drawn?), Christmas wreaths . . . work your way into spring by fixing up some sort of greenhouse and selling seedlings for flowers, veggies, shrubs, etc. Good luck.

MaryNY

4. Why not raise meat goats? They thrive good in brushy forrest no matter how the land is laid out. Buy weening age in the early spring and sell in late fall after the trees lose their canopy. You won't have to be out too much money on feed and when you sell you should just about double your money.

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Orchards do great on slopes.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Honey and firewood?