Cost to replace septic system

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pigeon Lady, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi All,

Well it's getting closer and closer. In about 2 1/2 weeks hubby should be home from Iraq and we will be out looking at homeasteads!!! No more drooling over places for sale that will be long gone by the time we are in the market!

We've seen a particularly suitable property, an older 4 bedroom house on 17 acres. The present owners have done a lot of remodeling of the downstairs. New kitchen, bath, furnace, carpet. New windows downstairs. Completely rewired the place. The upstairs still needs a bit of work - possibly new sheetrock and windows. The other thing they had planned to do is to replace the septic system. (I think the whole system??) She said they suspect that some of the leach lines are not functioning properly. (may be it only needs partial replacement) The asking price would come down considerably if we bought the place before all this was done.

So, what kind of price would we be looking at on the septic system? We wouldn't have to go through the whole perk test thing I shouldn't think since there's already a septic there, would we?

Just want to get an idea to help us in the negotiating. They are very "motivated" she said as they have had a new house built and are anxious to move.

I sure hope this works out. The pasture is fenced, has a small pond and there's a nice sized barn and other outbuildings. We could move our critters right in without having to fix or build anything, which, since hubby will only be home on weekends will be a major blessing.

Thanks for your help,

P.L.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Can't answer your question. I just wanted to say 'how exciting! Hubby coming home :dance: :dance: and getting your homestead TOO!' :dance: :dance: Hope it all goes well. :dance: :dance:

3. All depends on how much the state & county you live in enforce & create their own codes on septic.

You darn right you need a perk test! Where I live, you have 9 months after you buy a property to install a septic system to code, or you can't live there. You can't do any of the work yourself, only licenced companies. And I don't know of a single septic system that passed code when the property was sold, unless it was installed in the past 3 years...

Here most all that is allowed is mound systems with our heavy clay soils & lots of rainfall. You are looking at 5-12,000 depending upon how difficult the system is. Plus it has a lift pump, so you have ongoing electrical & mainenence costs.

Minnesota is one of the more regulated places where I am, but most other parts of the USA are quickly getting there.

In some few parts of the country there are few regulations - yet. Might not have to do much but put in some leach lines on your own, couple 100 bucks at most.

So, where do you live?

4. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

We too have a 4 bedroom farmhouse on about 15 acres. The septic turned out to be 300 gallons, and no leach field... My folks were going to build a "dawdy house" onto ours so had to put in a 2000 gallon septic and the run to the leach field was hundreds of feet. It was about $7000.

5. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

Living out in the boonies, as our friends in town call it, is an advantage when it comes to thing of this nature. A friend of mine had a new septic tank installed. The tank and installation ran him a little under a grand. I think it was a 1000 gal. tank. I'm getting the man's number, we are having two installed in a month or two.

6. Just got a septic system estimate today: pending good perc test, 1000 gal. cement septic tank and leach field, $3500. in Nebraska.

7. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

here in my part of indiana, an septic field doesn't have to be up to code when resold (of course, has to pass inspection if it is a brand new home).

however, if you ever want to get a building permit to add on, they CAN require a new septic, depends on how old the house is, where in the county it is. otherwise, they can't force you to upgrade a septic unless there are obvious problems/failing system.

re: a new system: my brother built a house about 11 years ago, it was $7500 for his system that included a lift station.

I built a home about 15 years ago and the cost was $2500 (but in a different county with no lift station).

my bil builds houses and two homes he built last year, one system was $6500, the other was closer to $10k.

mel-

8. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I just spent $350 to have local firm find my septic tank, dig up the lid and pump it out. Given the gunk in the tank we were probably a year away from having problems in the leach field. They can run little cameras in there and tell you if the lines are open. If the tank is good, then replacing the fields may not be too expensive, so have a pro check it out.

9. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

just some questions I would want answers to before buying:
    Is there an attachment on their original deed?
    If a bank is involved/financing, what are their requirements regarding the septic system?

10. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

You need a septic professional to check things out before proceeding further. Then you will know exactly what the problem with the septic system is. This will cost you some money. It will be money well spent and you'll know exactly where you stand.

If you have to replace the septic system, first you'll need a perk test, which you should conduct before making an offer on the house. The perk test will determine whether you need a conventional system, a mound system or (worst case scenairio) a holding tank.
    A conventional septic system here in Wisconsin will cost from $4000 - $6000. A mound system will cost from $9000 - $16000. Holding tanks (assuming they even let you install one) aren't all that expensive but the repeated costs of pumpings are cost prohibitive for full time residences.

Unfortunately, many plumbing/septic outfits will tell you a mound system is needed when a conventional septic system is adequate. Get 3 estimates. They should be very close to each other.

11. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

See if this system is available in your area and is acceptd by the local gov officals.

http://www.affordablesepticsystems.com/aerobic.html

A friend of mine has it installed at his house 2 adults 2 teenagers, and it works like a charm. Cost? for him around 5,000.00 complete, installed, inspected and running.

Been in two years and not a problem.

Good luck

12. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the help. I asked the owner if they had an estimate and she said around $3500. But we will get it checked out ourselves if we decide to buy this place.

Cyngbaeld, thank you. Yes it is exciting!!! Seemed like this day would never arrive! Hubby's going to have to peel me off the ceiling when he gets home!

P.L.

13. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

We payed $4000 5 years ago in Wisconsin and this included the perk and a 1,000 gallon lift station. The county offered possible financial help but you had to apply and pay a non refundable fee and then it depended on whether they determined it qualified or not. Chose to forgo that and hired it done. We also are required to have ours pumped every three years. I had to sign a contract when I bought the place and they, the county sends me a notice every three years that has to be signed and returned when the pumping is done.

14. in new york they want 30,000 plus dollars for replace new septic septic tank

15. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

Between the taxes and zoning and regulations I do not see how ya'll make it! I built a new house 3 years ago and the septic system was 1000 gal tank with 300' of field lines and it cost me $1550.00 and the perc test was $125.00 My cousin got an estimate on a mound system and it was not but $2400 those prices are crazy

16. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Here in NC a 1000 gal. Septic and leech field was $3500.

Gotta agree get someone to check out current system.

Kenneth