Cost to operate a Propane stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ross, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've been offered a working propane stove for very cheap, (friend) and my electric is hinting it would like to be retired. I know it needs to be installed by a pro, (friend with stove is a gas fitter) so what I need to know is how much does it cost per month to feed one of these beasts?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on the stove and how much you use it. We use about 80 gallons of LP every 3 months for cooking and running the water heater, so I can't really give you an idea of what the stove itself uses.
    We would never have an electric stove partly due to safety--electric burners stay hot too long even after they are shut off. Of course, some folks don't like propane due to safety concerns, too.

Jim

3. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I have a propane stove hooked up to its own tank. A 100 pound cylinder costs about $45 around here, and I don't remember exactly but I think it lasts about 4 months. I usualy cook 1 meal a day, occasionally it gets used 2 or 3 times a day.

4. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hello~
    I'd say go for it! We use our propane range daily and the needle on the propane gauge hasn't moved more than 2 mm since July. Besides, it's sooooo much nicer to cook on a gas range compared to electric. Also good, the burners will still work when the electricity goes out. :)
    Take care,
    Steph

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Ross, Is it a cook stove, or a heating stove? We used to have both with a water heater on the same 500 gallon tank. The cook stove and water heater would run all summer on a 20 perccent full tank, but heating the house was a whole nuther story.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sorry yes its a cook stove, 4 burner, and oven for a family of four. We do like to cook and prefer most foods on the stove over the microwave although some things are better nuked. Guess I'll call the suppliers tomorrow and see what they want and have to say. Wouldn't mind a propane drier too. House is heated with oil and wood. Ok wood alone at the moment as I have the oil burner in a few peices. I have to finish installing the new tanks before I bother with the burner here.

7. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I use propane and have a 500 gal. tank out back and fill it once a year to about 80 percent which lasts a year before refilling. We have a stove and a water heater and I would never use an electric stove because the heat is uncontrollable and if ice gets your electric you have no stove. The term "cookin with gas" has lost it's meaning. Cause it's the best heat going.