Cost per pound

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by 2story, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

My cost per pound is $1.50 from pen to table. confinment raised, purchased ground feed, home butchered, cured by a pro. how do we compare?

2. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

pretty close to my costs in raising pigs for butcher and from pen to table.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I spend about $1.05lb - but I'm not factoring in the cost of the surplus milk I feed. (the breakdown of what it costs to produce the milk per gallon) It also depends on what I can get a piglet for - I've paid anywhere from $20 on up to $75! That really effects the end results. I usually pay around $130 for butchering.

I think we are finally ready to try butchering our own - which will save the most significant amount of money invested, bringing the cost for our next pig down to $.48lb!

Niki

4. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

We breed, farrow, slaughter and butcher our own so the cost comes out to be trivial - (pennies a pound?) - since the costs are covered by the pigs we sell. If we didn't sell pigs at all I figure our cost would come out to $0.53/lb for our pork including what we feed to our livestock guardian dogs that herd and guard the animals.

Other than facilities costs (land (already have), fencing (slowly expanding), housing (we build mostly with materials from our land), etc), a little diesel for the tractor (we own it, not the bank), insurance for tractor ($200/yr?) and labor (us) our costs are very low, about $1,400 a year for winter hay. We don't buy feed. We have a breeding herd of 30 sows plus boars. We sell piglets and finished hogs for the most part with the occasional sale of a boar, bred guilt, etc.

If we bought feed it would be about $100(?) per pig. I don't do that for that reason in part. Part of the point of pastured pigs for us is we produce a better quality product with a lower overhead and per unit cost so we can actually compete with the mega-producers. Our pork sells for about the same as the store pork. Commercial feed would kill both of those advantages.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we raised a few sold all but one it worked out to ours being free even after paying butcher and curing

6. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

If I consider the new fence charger I had to buy - the Tams would have cost me about $1.83 a pound from start to finish. Without it - just shy of $1.17. Most of this was in the processing.

Of course, if you consider the tilling and clearing they did for me and feeding my family on top of it......

I get $3.50/lb for a pastured tam half.

Going to try a few more pigs next year - trying to offset the early graining with organic feed cost. After about 100lbs they are straight pasture - or woods - or hickory nut feast or whatever is out there naturally...

Andrea

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This is very close to what we have here. Piglet price really varies depending on when we get them and from whom. And we feed our goat milk to the pigs too. When we sell a pig to someone, we charge 25% above our cost.