Cost of propane

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nax, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Just paid 1.59 a unit (whatever it's measured in)--about what I paid last January. What's the going rate in your area? Here, it's a by-product of natuarl gas processing (my delivery guy said it can come from crude as well). It came in on target for what I was budgeting, so I'm pleased this far. I thought it would be more, but I guess natural gas hasn't started to go up yet.

What's it like in other parts of the country?

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I got some yesterday, ordered last week. $2.399/gal. $303.00 to fill the tank from 35 to 80%.

3. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

I've got $1.19 for my next fill up.

Nax, check your pm.

4. ralphsmom

ralphsmom Well-Known Member

Paid $2.21 a couple of weeks ago.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i really dont understand the HUGE difference in propane prices across this country! i am getting a "top off" on monday for 1.99 per gal, and i paid 1.49 per gal back in june/july to have the tank filled.

6. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

7. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Most all of the propane companies have PRE bought the supplies that they are using NOW.
    My $1.19 price represents fuel bought months ago.
    I was told that I can top up thru March at $1.39, but then they expect that they will be out of their PRE bought fuel and then they will have to deal with the open market...........and who knows what the market will be by then........shudder....

So..............any company who is bouncing the propane price around like the price of gasoline is just plain STICKING it to the public......................GREED.........

Will they tell the truth about *their* price..???

Of course not.

Not as long as there is an opportunity for HUGE profits.

So.......bend over folks and take the screw*** they are gonna give ya.

Now if you owned your own tank you can shop around for the best price................
    .When I "shoped around" in August, I got prices from $1.19 to $2.10. Thats kind of a no brainer on which way to go on that price range.

just my .03 cents

8. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

When I checked with my company, he said the same thing--that the price was actully settled last summer for this Winter. I don't know if he's telling the truth or not, but then he said that his supplier was going to undo that deal. Don't know how that's done--but if you got the money, I guess anything's possible.

If natural gas goes up 40% here in Michigan, as expected, I could imagine that if there is a legal way to get out of that deal, the suppler to my supplier will. (Nationally they're calling for natural gas to go up 70%).

Anyway, the site that manufactures the propane is about 5 miles down the road, so that might be a difference in price.