COST...of Metal Building...!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Nov 21, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Went down to my local metal dealer here in Weatherford , Tx and priced the Metal , screws and Doors for a new building . The sales guy is going to workup a detailed estimate . He is going to workup a detailed sheet of all the individual components . This is a 40 x 40 building with a 30 x 20 attached , covered parking metal structure . The building will have a 12 x 14 door and a 4' x 7' entry metal door . The cost per square foot he estimated was $8 per sq. foot . This.....is..Double what the Cost was a year previously . I , just about had a stroke . Anybody else had the same experience??? Mud huts are starting to look acceptable now , fordy... :eek: :)

2. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

fordy, everything metal seems to have made a huge jump in price. I'm assuming due to the cost of fuel, but then everything is more expensive these days! Seems like we got our metal building for about $3000, but that's been almost 10 years now. Jan in Co

3. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Do you have plenty of trees on your land? If so, why not log structures instead of metal? Just a thought, since it would be CHEAP, especially if owner built,and if built right, just as durable. Of course, the trick is to build it right.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Jan , I , know how Cheap it ...USE to Be...as I built this building , 10 years previous .
    ..............Antiquestuff , My intention was to buy all the materials Here , in Texas , and haul to Wy for erection . Then , all I have to do is pour a slab and start welding . Metal in WY has Got to be higher per sq. foot , than here , as alot of steel is coming out of Mexico I believe . As , I said earlier , a 3 bedroom , MUD Hut maybe the coming thing . I guess I'd have to use my lawnmower to keep my roof in good shape . ..fordy... :)

5. chris774

chris774 Member

my bil the welder has been talking about the prices of steel going up for awhile now. seems the chinese economy is booming so they are buying everything they can get their hands on fior construction. but the good side of it is scrap prices are up for the most part.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Fordy,
    The China market has driven the steel prices through the ceiling but just recently the interest of borrowed money in China jumped. Hold off the purchase a bit as the market in China should become saturated and the price of steel metal building supplies should drop. I do not expect to see the previous prices anytime soon with the hit on petroleum however. Do you mind my asking if this is going to be a storage building? If so, I have some suggestions on how to lower the building costs.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............ag , Actually , I was going to frame a living area of about 22 x 40 , and then use the other 18 x 40 for a large garage portion to keep a travel trailer in . Then I use the "roof" of the living area as storage as well . The sides will have to be 15 feet high as the TT will be close to 13 feet tall then I'll need a little add'tl room for the 12 x 14 door . All suggestions are welcome as it doesn't cost anything to investigate alot of different idea's . I'm going to have a limited and fixed budget to work with when I really get serious about moving which will probably be the middle of next year . thanks for your help , fordy :)

9. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Fordy,
    Yep, Agmantoo is right...it's China that's causing worldwide shortages. They've been in a building boom, sucking up all the new steel and scrap metal available. I work in the automotive industry and many of our suppliers are really hurting because of shortages & high prices. Remember when we used to joke about the price of rice in China? Who've thunk it would be the price of steel in China that would impact us!

10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Fordy,

I was reading the Denver Post want ads in the building materials section today and thought of your posting. I found this:

All Steel Bldgs
    25X28 $4990
    30X46 $6980
    48X100 $15950
    1st come 1st serve
    1(800)392-7817

The other two ads for steel buildings didn't list prices, but here are the numbers:
    30X60m, 40X75, 50X100 call Roy 1(800)499-2760
    40X60, 60X100, 70X120 Can Deliver! 1(800)775-1507

The 1(800) numbers make we wonder whether they are come-ons. Good luck.

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Yes I just priced metal roofing for new section of my house and it was double and then some for the same product I bought 2 years ago. Sticker shock for sure as metal roof used to be cheap and durable. Still durable.

12. Terrabus

Terrabus Middle-Aged Delinquent

I come from a steel town that lost our steel mill two years ago. My mom worked at a forge for a while. Nobody could compete with the prices. It was cheaper for people to buy steel out of Taiwan and lose 50% to poor quality than buy American steel with 100% quality. Sad, huh? Well, now, I'm in an even poorer town where everybody with a pick-up is looking for scrap metal to get rid of. The nice thing is that everybody with an old fender, bumper, broken axle and whatnot is finally getting it off their front lawn and off to the scrap heap. I'd get rid of my stuff, but when where would my dog sleep?

Seriously, these prices cannot last for long, not at this rate. I'd wait for a few weeks, maybe two months, and see what happens.

Ted

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................I , guess I'll just sit tight for now and see what happens . Scrap metal prices are at all time high's . And , I'm not in any great rush to do anything . The reality of Moving is that it...Costs alot of money to sell here and Buy over "there" . If , I move Now , I'll be spending all the appreciation that I realized from owning my property on the Inflated prices for Land , Fuel , and building materials . Plus , the property taxes maybe Higher in my new location than they were here . ....So , I'll just take my time and try to minimize my mistakes . Thanks to all who took the time to respond , fordy.. :)

14. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

Don't know alot about these things, but DH and sons built a 24 by 40 pole barn from scratch this summer and I would have to get the bills out, but I believe the total came in at around $6000. This included the wood, all the metal for roofing and sides, polycarbonate for windows across the top of the sides and two 10 by 7 overhead doors. DH tells everyone it cost $5000, but I paid the bills!!! Good luck. I know it would have been cheaper just a few years ago.

15. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I knew our scrap metal prices were through the roof and from what I have read China's main sorce of scrap metal for making there metal comes from us. Once ours went though the roof so did theres

16. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Well, it's not just Red China that is causing price pressure on building materials.
    We have a whole country to re-build over in Iraq and Florida after three hurricanes. I also heard recently that there is a shortage of portland cement.

Fortunately, I'm not in a position right now where I am "stuck with" buying a lot of building materials. Every time I do buy something though, it's a case of "sticker shock".

Just for laughs, you might check out Mueller, Inc. on your steel building. There a Texas outfit with several branches. I haven't done business with them in awhile, but they used to be good people to deal with, and reasonable. 'Course they're buying steel in the same market as everybody else.

http://www.muellerinc.com

17. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Fordy:

Sorry for your misfortune in timing...excuse me while I go out and kiss my metal garage/apartment/laundry room. It's more valuable than I thought! Hopefully in a few months it will be a better time for metal buildings. It will be worth the wait. Can you hold off until spring?

18. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I sure would NOT be looking for China to become "saturated" where steel or oil are concerned. Think of the number of people they have!! More and more are getting cars (built with steel!) and are using oil products to fuel them. This is going to affect our economy in a big way, if it is not already.

I used to sell real estate in 1978-80, a period of high inflation and interst rates. We always advised people to not wait for prices to drop. I've seen very little to contradict that advice in the meantime. Guessing at the timing of highs and lows has it's hazards. I would really research both the real estate where you want to be and all the alternative building materials and techniques available. There are quantities of books on solar, wind, water power, stone building, rammed earth,etc. Do some looking on Amazon and Half.com to find some. I would stick with more recent pub dates, however. Get a Real Goods catalog, etc.

Suggest you try to find the land asap. If you can take some of the equity out of your present place and at least get the land you want, then you can live in the current house for the time it takes to sell or, if necessary, for an extra year or two. For Wyoming, I, personally, would start looking during the winter and buy in the muddy spring after the snow melts. I would also be very sure about water availability and what your rights are to that water. Someone on an earlier post remarked that in CO, you cannot even save the rain off your roof!!!!!!

If it is Wyoming, build a guest house as I will certainly want to come visit for a few weeks. The best vacation we ever had in my 70 yrs, was winter in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. What a place!

Best Wishes,

Sandi

19. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

We're in the construction business, and I just received a quote from Mueller, Inc. for a 20 x 30 metal building with one 3 x 7 door and a 10 x 10 roll up door for $8300. Materials only and it didn't include freight or taxes.

20. seraphima

seraphima Active Member

I can't offer a lot of hope about prices going down. We have had a rebar shortage in our state since early spring- impacted all the road building companies big time! It is likely that prices will just keep going up.

Short term, folks are making money selling their scrap; long term, prices of new metal are just going higher. Higher oil prices also make mining, transporting, and processing ores much more expensive. There is nowhere to hide from the world economy...