Cost of hog feed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by uncle Will in In., Oct 2, 2004.

1. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Right now the farmers in the corn belt are hauling shelled corn by the semi loads to markets around the country. They are getting paid less than $4.00 per hundred pounds. If you can find corn at country prices your pigs will make you money. These stores are taking the small opperaters to the cleaners.

2. dla

dla Well-Known Member

:no: I don't know how anybody can make money at anything at $4.00 for 100 lbs....

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The cheapest I can find anything is $12/ 100 lbs. and I've shopped and shopped. That is for hog grower meal. If I purchased corn, I would be paying more.

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Our local feed store has corn for $9. per 100lb bag. I know the elevator where I have our feed mixed should be a lot cheaper, I'll hafta go check it out! Thanks for the tip Unk! :)

5. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Unk.
    They are storing corn on the ground here at less than 2$ a bushel and the local TSC sells whole corn at $4.95 for a 50# bag :no: I just ordered a load fresh from the field at $2 a bushel and he will let me use the wagon for storage!! He gets more money than the elevator will give and I get high quality field dried corn that my steers will eat like candy :D He is a good farmer that uses inputs wisely and we both come out ahead. The sad thing is they still sell a lot of corn at twice the market price :confused:
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wanda, Yesterday the local elevators was paying $1.72 per bushel (56lb) for corn at 15 percent moisture. Right now the corn in this area is running 17 or 18 percent moisture. They have to take a moisture dock of something like 12 cents a bushel. With a 10 cent a bushel trucking bill that leaves $1.50 per bushel going to the rich overpaid farmers. You really should get a moisture test on your load of shelled corn. If it's above 15% it can mold and spoil when it is piled up. A safety measure would be to put a large plastic field tile up and down in the center of the wagon before filling. A small fan could be placed to blow fresh air down the tile and out the slots through the corn. That would go a long way to preserve the quality of the corn.

7. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Uncle Will
    The corn is 16% now and will be drier by the end of the week. I do this every year as that poor farmer is a very good friend. Our elevators make you dry down to 13.5% before they let you store it so they get an extra gouge above what you already mentioned. You should load up a big load of Hoosier corn and you and Aunt Will could sell it to our southern friends and have a nice little vacation away from this cold snap :cool: You could make travel expenses and they would still have a bargain :D
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Here in AR I paid $108.00 per 1000 lb mixed hog feed ground and mixed at our local feed mill. No medications and no hormones or other growth enhancers.

This was put into 50lb feed sacks which I emptied into 55gal plastic storage drums.

I was at the co-op this morning and their feed (grower) is $7.00 per 50lb sack with meds and enhancers

9. billdarlene

billdarlene Well-Known Member

wanda do you grind the corn or feed whole i am thinking of doing this
    and have heard both that its ok to feed whole and that its better to grind
    thanks

10. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

I am feeding to cattle and always feed whole. Ground corn is to dusty and I do not want to add molasses to it to hold down the dust. Cracked also has to many fines. A lot of the big lots use steam flaked but I have never seen it done. If you do grind you should only do amounts that you will use quickly as it will not keep as good as whole corn.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

100# shell corn here is 7.50 a sack at the mill. I could get it cheaper from the farmer direct, but only if I could take an entire truckload at a time

12. rickochet

rickochet Member

where are u buying your feed from?I'm here in Perry County. thanks,rick

13. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I get it from the
    Jim Rogers feed Mill
    300 W. Maple
    Paris, AR
    479-963-3944

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My mom told me yesterday that when they wanted lard from a pig, they'd pen it apart and feed it just corn. So you guys are getting lard?

15. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Tango
    The lard comes from genetics not the corn :D The last 2 hogs we butchered were 205# hanging and I only got about 8# of lard :( That fat should have been in the sausage but I wanted the lard! These hogs were eating good Ill. corn and they still do not produce lard.
    your friend
    Mike