Cost of Heating Free With Firewood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Obser, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Some time ago I saw a list of costs that was hilarious. I have tried to make something similar to post here.

• Chainsaw.....................575.00
      Gas can..........................7.00
      Gasoline........................15.00
      Chain oil..........................3.00
      Two-cycle oil...................6.00
      Pickup truck.............30,000.00
      Cooler...........................75.00
      Ice (several times)..........25.00
      Beer............................237.00
      Replacement chain...........15.00
      Chain sharpening.............25.00
      Chainsaw sharpener........125.00
      Emergency room.............352.00
      Doctor visits..................200.00
      Crutches........................75.00
      Body work on truck.......2373.00
      Woodstove..................1500.00
      Chimney repair...............750.00
      Fire Department charge...395.00
      Insurance increase.........225.00
      Uninsured damage......15,000.00

Total Direct Costs......51,976.00

Divorce...................150,000.00
      Counseling..................3,000.00

Total Cost...............204,976.00

2. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

The beer/ice, fire department and emergency room charges will be higher. In that order.

3. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Cost to warm your buns next to a good wood stove on a cold rainy day: Priceless.

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

LOL.. that's frighteningly accurate!

5. eulabes

eulabes full time daydreamer

fyi - checked with state farm about home owners insurance increasing if I add a wood burning stove. They said they won't increase it a dime if I purchase a regular one (that hasn't been homemade) and install it to all specs.

eulabes

6. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Along a similar note...
    When we were considering building our "dream home", we determined that trying to get the local gas company to run a line a 1/4 mile to our the house site would be cost prohibitive; would take us OVER 20 yrs to recoup the cost on the installation alone.....
    With that in mind we explored the other "white heat".......burning with wood.
    Read tons of literature that stated that if you put in a regular wood furnace, that your insurance company would either cancel the policy or increase the rates; most suggested looking into an outdoor wood-burning boiler; claimed that your insurance company would actually DROP their rates.......HA!!!
    Not only did they not drop the rate.....everyone that I've contacted so far , has NEVER heard of such a thing......heard the same story about metal -vs - conventional roofing.....so we put in a metal roof; despite the fact that we don't have any hot ashes drifting down or a chimne going thru the roof that might actually catch it on fire....where do these rural/urban legends come from? :nono: :shrug:

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Beer and ice figures are low!

We got two chainsaws (Huskies) and sharpening files for less than $575

Wodstove was $500 new

Hmmm dad got 13 stitches a few days (chainsaw bounce) ago but worked at Togus VA..has good ins.

Truck and trailer new....$26500....3/4ton and 13.5 ft single axle trailer 1999

I prefer wood heat to oil...but the beer thing could cause divorce...especially if he didnt share :nono:

Neighbor owns dump truck and excavator....cost $0

Child labor $0 (stacking, splitting, bringing in wood)

12 cord this weekend....many more weekends to go :p

8. Kith and Kin

Kith and Kin Active Member

Wow!! No log splitter? My nieghbor just brought over 5 nice lengths for me.
    I cut it, split it and stacked it this weekend.
    If this ever gets out, others will be over this winter wanting some of that free fierwud ya got lass year. It cost me 2 hours and 3 beers! :rock:

9. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Forgot, new back window for pick $320,
    Guard for back window, $400.
    Otherwise just about exact.

P.S my first wild turkey came in about $1100 per pound.

10. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Wood fired water stove...6500.00
    used tractor...4300.00
    used 3 point hydraulic logsplitter...75.00
    3 tree trimming companies cutting and delivering...FREE

Last year's gas...500.00 per month
    Gas price this year up 50%..Would have been 750.00 per month

Payback time...14 months, than tractor fuel and repairs only

11. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

CopperKid..........

Our retreat home, which lost alot of shingles in a storm 2 yrs. ago, had to be replace.

We priced both composition roofing and metal, they actually ran close.

We made the arrangement "in advance" that if we would go with the metal, that we would get a discount on the insurance.

We did, they cut it 25 %

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Not if you buy your excellent seasoned hardwood firewood from the local saw mill delivered in a huge dump truck a 2 year supply for $300 like me.

13. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Gotta love wood heat. It almost free, and you can wear shorts in the winter.

We've got an outside burner and I love it. No mess, no fire hazard, but I do have to go outside to fill it. I guess that keeps me young (along with chasing after 4 youngins). We've had the outside burner going on 3 years this fall, and it'll have paid for itself in LP savings.

14. Obser

I forgot the log splitter and underestimated the beer. How could I have forgotten the truck back window after breaking one myself? I overlooked child labor / indentured servitude since there is no such thing available in our situation.

We have installed a lot of metal roofing and found it to be reasonably priced and easily installed. It is also fireproof (whether or not it reduces insurance rates).

We have gotten "cant ends" at a local sawmill for $50 for all we wanted to load and haul on a 20' trailer with 4' sides. All hardwood. Great deal. Couldn't cut wood on our own property that cheap. Advise others to check mills in their area to see if sawmill scrap is available and economical. Their scrap can make great firewood (even "slabs" can be used).

I have heard "firewood warms twice, once when cutting, once when burning". I would modify that to say six times -- cutting, loading, splitting, stacking, moving in to burn, burning.

15. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Cost of firewood...

Your figures were almost right. We paid WAY less for the truck, chain saw and no beer. But by the time we paid for sharpening, gas, oil, etc. etc. wood heat was costing us a bundle. But we came up with a solution.

Find neighbor with wood and dump truck, pay him $110 a load, order one every 2 months. Cost for winter - $440 delivered, split and ready to use.

I do LOVE wood heat. And $55 a month is CHEAP.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

16. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

17. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm....Never knew how popular it was to get one's chainsaw sharpened. Hubby always does that chore himself, and always with a little handfile. Though lately, I've heard him wishing for a sharpener. I asked him how much they cost. His answer..."Too much". Given the list below, now I know :rolleyes:.

Our chainsaw is some heavy, all-metal thing that hubby fished from a pile in a scrap yard, the pickup is an old clunker that DEFINITELY didn't cost 30K, and our woodstoves were free giveaways from friends that had gotten new ones. Glad I didn't see this list before we endeavored to start on getting them (the stoves) installed, to help reduce our heating costs. Though totals like that rarely discourage us because, surely, thinking outside of the box can bring the cost down to next to nothing (we always hope anyway :dance: ).

I like that idea about getting scraps from the lumberyard. Have one down the street here...Wonder what they'd charge for the privilege of hauling off their throwaways? Might just have to ask them before next winter rolls around.....

Erin

18. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

1) Craftsman chainsaw in kit with case, gloves, sharpener, bar & chain oil, 2- cycle engine oil, safety goggles, gas can & nifty log carrier . . . . . . . On clearance for $192.00

2) Old beater of a raised-up gas-guzzling 4x4 F-150 . . . . . . . . . . Free from a friend who couldn't afford the gas

3) Ginger beer 'cause we're too broke to go get store-bought beer . . . . . . . . . . . . . Free

4) Dirty looks at husband who can't run the chainsaw & makes cutsey coments . . . Free

5) Husband making up for the comments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Priceless ;)

6) Cost of hospital visit for birth of DD resulting from #5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Don't want to know, glad insurance covered it.

7) Having DD in our lives . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Priceless

19. Obser

WELCOME Erin.

20. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

AMEN TO THAT!!!!! :cowboy: