cost of hauling wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Scene: You have property in South Carolina and are moving to New York to homestead. You have a big tree in South Carolina that has to get cut down. Would it be more expensive to haul the wood to New York due increased gas cost from the additional weight than to just buy chopped wood there to burn the first season? This is a very big tree. For this example, let's say the back of a truck is completely full of wood.

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I would sure think so if your truck is gas. Diesels really dont change their fuel consumption much under load.

3. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

It would be worth it as long as you didn't have to make an extra trip.

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Depending on the wood...lets say you have 1 cord=20million BTU

that equals

160gallons of gasoline...

hmmm...how much wood?

might be well worth it!

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

penny wise and pound foolish. If it made sense you would see more semis hauling firewood long distance.

Mike

6. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

You could build a ship with the wood, sail North to New York and upon arriving take the ship apart and use the wood to help build your homestead. If you decide to take your critters along it might be best to load them on board in pairs. Get building before the rain starts!! :nana:

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

What's the difference in cost of wood between SC and NY? Shipping/hauling costs would have to be less than the difference in those two numbers. You could you sell the wood in SC and use that money to buy wood in NY.

8. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

What size truck? If you are talking pickup, it will carry 50.00 worth of firewood. 800 miles loaded to New York. I don't think you can make it on a hundred dollars worth of gas. Try to sell it in SC. If you can't, give it away. You cannot afford to haul it.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

a pick-up can probably carry 3/4 of a cord. i pay $100 per cord or $75 a load in southern pa. so would you burn $75 dollars of gas just to move the wood? it may be close. i would sell the load of wood and not haul it.

10. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

sell or give away the tree .dont haul it that far

11. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Drive off and leave the big old tree. It is just not cost effective to cut it, split it, load it, haul it to N.Y., unload it and buy fuel for the trip. Not to mention the value of your time, against the cost of purchased firewood at your destination. The cost of the fuel alone will come close to paying for the wood at the new location.

Can you sell the tree where it stands? This might be a lot better deal for you. Or perhaps you could trade it (where it is) for something that you need. :)

12. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for all the advice. The tree has to be cut to sell the house in SC. It's dying, hanging over the house and arrangements have already been made to cut the tree down. Trips are being taken to NY anyway, but I think you guys are right. It'd be better just to leave the wood there or sell it in SC.