Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching http://www.dvauction.com/events/45804/view goat auction live now.

Unregistered Boer yearling does going for $1,600 +-. Why are these prices so high? Is this the state of the market or is there something special about these Boer does?

No Step Boer Goats - No Step/Schafer Sale (San Angelo, TX)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
We have never owned a Boer or looked into the purchase of one. We have, however, heard that years ago they sold for huge amounts and that those prices were no more. Just this summer we sold a Nubian buck to a big Boer herd owner in MO who is starting a PB Nubian herd. According to that person she has recently sold Boer goats for upwards of $3,000 each. I was blown away!! LOL. I assume they must have been made of gold, but did not ask her. We have been told that we do not charge enough for our Nubian kids by several people...but no one EVER suggested that $3000 would be appropriate!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
An unregistered doe should not be going for that much, unless she has a famous sire or comes from a famous farm and is otherwise a nice animal... I'd never pay that much for an unregistered doe.

Don't use a sale like that to base actual going prices on. Those are high quality breeding stock sales, most people are not getting 1600.00 for an unregistered doe. :) I'd say a normal range for a registered purebred boer doe is probably more like 500.00, but can go way higher depending on quality, lines, and breeder.

Reactions: Doug Hodges

·
Registered
31,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sale is over now. $1,600 was average, with a range of $8,500 down to $500. Most were in in that $1,600 range.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
San Angelo, Tx? Are you sure the currency isn't Pesos?!!! Unregistered does around here sell for $200-$500 depending on quality. Are these traditional red heads or some fancy coloration?

·
Registered
31,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
San Angelo, Tx? Are you sure the currency isn't Pesos?!!! Unregistered does around here sell for $200-$500 depending on quality. Are these traditional red heads or some fancy coloration?
Watch it yourself. It is live right now.

The first auction was traditional.

I saw one "fancy" colored in the auction running right now. There may have been more.

·
Registered
31,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sale now does have a lot of non standard ********. Highest price so far is $10,000 for a buck.

·
Registered
31,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Big breeders get together and run the prices, You buy mine I buy yours, the goat goes to your place, improve your herd and keep prices high. Saw it in the 70's with the registered Suffolk sheep sales. Did you see how much that sheep brought!!!!!!!! Newness goes away, first get rich all the others get fleeced. Nah, never happened....James

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
They also keep prices high because as soon as people see spots or another interesting color, out comes the checkbook... :p

Yes, a breeding stock sale is not a good way to price animals. :)

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
They also keep prices high because as soon as people see spots or another interesting color, out comes the checkbook... :p

Yes, a breeding stock sale is not a good way to price animals. :)
Ironically, many of these Boers are not tested for CAE or for CL...in fact most come from herds that either ignore the CL abscesses, treat them to eliminate the abscess or vaccinate to reduce the number of abscesses...

Nothing like a sale to build some frenzy.

Color is still hot, even though the traditional Boers are better in almost every way (size, muscling, ease of kidding, mothering instinct and ability to win in the show ring).

We breed Boers - primarily breeding stock. The majority of our males go for show wethers - as bucks, they would be a boon to most breeding programs, but we generally just keep the top 10-15% as breeding bucks. The does (Fullblood) start at $500.00, which is a gift for healthy tested wormed vaccinated well-fed healthy stock with a deep pedigree for excellence.

You should consider shopping individual breeders rather than these sales if you want to get nice stock. Don't be afraid to pay for something nice (especially the buck) and plan on spending a bit for the transport. The breeder can't help the transport costs, but you will come out in the long run with animals that you can own and breed and upgrade with for many years if you do your homework .

Oh, and you won't have had your goats exposed to God only knows what that a nice goat is exposed to at the Sales. (Why we won't sell our breeding stock at the production sales).

PS Our goats are registered - mostly Fullbloods. Still getting letters/e-mails from folks who have our goats as their foundation stock.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I'd probably be willing to SELL boer goats at auction to get prices like that (the high prices are for famous lines and famous farms, though) but I'd probably never buy there. I figure I can probably buy semen out of the buck that went for a gazillion dollars, for a much more reasonable amount of money, and it's safer than bringing a boer home from one of those sales.

Boer breeders handle disease differently. I don't agree with it, but it is generally a fact that boer breeders do not test, are nonchalant about CL, and most haven't heard of Johnes. When I find a boer breeder that DOES test and does know about them, I bookmark their website! :p They can be very well MANAGED herds in regards to these diseases though - isolation of animals with CL and vaccination of the herd to prevent future abscesses, culling of unthrifty animals (johnes), and culling of does with swollen knees and/or hard udders (CAE) is pretty common. Not the way I like doing things either, but it's an effort. Many times you'll visit a well managed boer goat herd and the ones you see are just healthy as can be.

Hopefully after this vet school stuff is over, Camille will be getting an email/call from me once I'm ready to get boers again. :)

Reactions: dozedotz
1 - 16 of 16 Posts