Cost of Electric Fence

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kfriel, Nov 17, 2006.

1. kfriel

kfriel Member

Hi, I plan to get a few goats (three) in the spring. I want to fence in about a 120 Foot perimeter. I was wondering what the most cost effective method would be for installing electric fence? There are a lot of Black and some Brown Bears around my place. If anyone has a link on how to install electric fence, I would appriciate it if you posted it. Thanks!

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Morning, for your size property I would shift gears from electric fence and start pricing cattle panels in your area. Cattle panels are rigid welded wire panels usually sized at 16 feet long and four feet high with 4" x4" holes. They can be easily attached to wooden posts or metal T-posts. Top the cattle panels with a strand of 14 gauge electric fencing wire if needed. In my area cattle panels they cost 14.00 per panel and last forever plus they have numberous uses. Cost of a cattle panel project would be around $200.00. I'm not a bear expert, but I am sure that no type of fencing will stop a determined bear. ...Run with the panels you would be sorry!!! Tennessee John

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

5. topside1

To answer your original question....cost would be around $125.00 depending on what type charge you purchase and how many wooden corner post and line T-post you need. Installation instructions will come with your charger or just google (electric fencing). I believe in electric fencing and have a few problems with my system. If bears are a constant problem, why not electrify cattle panels or field fencing...Just a thought!!! Tennessee John

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Am I out of line for observing that the 120 ft perimeter isn't much space for three goats?

7. topside1

Rose is right, goats really need more space than that. I was under the assumption that maybe this area was to be used as their quarters after nightfall. Kriel, fill us in on your goat intentions??? Tennessee John

8. kfriel

kfriel Member

I guess I worded the dimensions wrong, the area I want to fence is 120' X 20' so it would be 2400 sqft give or take. I plan to have two nubians for milk and wether for packing. Does that sound like enough area? There is a wood shed for shelter and its under big spruce trees that don't allow the snow to build up.

9. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

The key words here are "in my area". Last fall I priced these cattle panels out at $33.00 each. Wow, big difference. (We didn't go that route).
    HF

10. fishhead

That doesn't seem like very much space and wouldn't supply much food.

11. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i also want to add that the biggest threat to goats isn't bears or bobcats or any other wild things. it's your, or your neighbors dogs. when you build fence, please remember to fence them out too.

i also have to say, my goats will climb cattle panels in a heart beat, as will the pyr, and the little ones will just walk right through them. yes it costs more but woven wire with a hot wire on top and bottom is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

also remember to buy the biggest charger you can afford. it will be rated by how many miles of fence it charges. if you only have a little fence buy a big charger. the charge will be that much stronger. little charger = weaker shock.

12. kfriel

kfriel Member

I know it's not a lot of space, and I will have to feed them most of their food. I do not want to fence my entire yard however. Everything is very expensive here. Those panels you suggested will be at least double your cost. I plan to stake the goats in the yard on nice days and let them eat grass. I have some big dogs (Boxers)that will keep other dogs away. The black bears frequent the next yard over, they don't have dogs. Do any of you guys use goats for packing?

13. toomb68

toomb68 Well-Known Member

not sure goats will mow your grass. sheep may be a better option.

14. fishhead

I think you will likely have to feed them all of their food and the yard will just be a treat.

Chargers for a given mileage will vary in the amount of volts delivered. I had one that was good for many miles but only delivered 625 volts. I changed it to one with the same mileage that was rated for large livestock and predators. It delivered 5,000 volts.

15. topside1

Cattle panels are $14.00
    Goat panels with 4x4 inch holes are $26.00
    Each version work great for goats. The 4x4 inch holed panels work great for young kids....Have a great goat day...Tennessee john

16. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

I would not reccomend eletric fence with goats, especially if there are coyotes, bobcats, etc in your area. I would reccomend cattle panels or the like. We fence all goat pens with cattle panels and have never had a predator problem. Although we do have 5 dogs that roam the property and would let us know if there was something out there. Two of the dogs can get out of the barn where they sleep at night too.

Lyceum

17. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

With the Cattle panels, make sure you only get dehorned goats... Horned goats will get thier heads stuck in the cattle panels. My friend had a horned nubian buckling that got his head stuck and was then beat from the other side to death by the other goats. Not a pretty situation.

I'd say go get some woven fencing, then run two or so strands of electric. I just have woven fencing for mine right now. Also, baby goats will be able to get through field or cattle fencing, so 'goat fence' is best. Don't get the 2"x4" fencing, that stuff is crap with goats. good 4"x4" fencing is best. A little more expensive, but well worth it, IMO.

To protect against bears, I'd say the best thing to do would be to run the electric, and then don't leave any grain laying out, and seal up mothers at night. Especially the babies.

Oh, and i don't officially pack yet, but i do have a doe that I would love to pack with... Now, if only the cost of the danged things weren't so high! I'm buying a cart harness first before I go out and buy packs... :)

18. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

If you are wanting to go the electric fence route- look at Premeir Fencing. They have elctrified goat fencing that works great. Here is the link. http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=409&cat_id=53

And about your goats. Your milking goats (and your pack goat while working) will need to be fed ALL of their food by you. This pen you are making will be their loafing pen attatched to their shelter. It's where they will get their exersie, not ood as they will trample it down fairly fast.

Goats are browsers (not grazers like sheep and cows), and do not eat grass unless it is a last resort. They will nibble on it, but it will not be their main source of nutrition. There fore you will need to provide them a good quality legume hay or a grass legume mixed hay for them everyday free choice. Alfalfa is the best for milking does and growing kids. A little grass mixed in with that won't hurt it either. They will need a grain supplement while milking, close to kidding, and whlie packing, and for growing kids. It should be a percentage protein no lower than 15%. (Even at that percentage does will not milk to their poteintial a 16-18% is best.) Do not feed sheep feed as it contains NO copper which goats do need. The goats will also need a free choice mineral be it block or loose (again not for sheep.) They will also need free choice baking soda and clean fresh water at all times. (Baking soda helps keep the acidity in their stomachs at a natural level.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

19. snycal

snycal Member

I pack goats, going on a camping trip for Thanksgiving Week/end. I use the "no climb fencing" with electric wire on the top. I also have horned goats so cattle panels are a big no-no. Its fine if you supply all there food btw. I take mine out, daily, no joke. We do lots of training with ours.

20. kfriel

kfriel Member

Snycal: My property borders the Chugach National Forest (2nd largest in the country) most of which is non-motorized. I don't have room for horses or mules, so I was thinking some pack goats may open up some new country. I ordered a book on the subject but have not received it yet. Any advice would be appriciated.