Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know just how expensive it is to get ele to a vacant lot. Nearest pole is aroung 2000 ft away. Thanks

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
campergirl said:
Hi,
Does anyone know just how expensive it is to get ele to a vacant lot. Nearest pole is aroung 2000 ft away. Thanks
It obviously depends where you live.
In Ontario it's very expensive. Basically, if you lay $5 bills end to end for the distance from the pole to the meter, that's about what it cost several years ago. It's probably more now. 2000 ft. away would cost several thousands of dollars here. That's pretty much a certainty. This isn't probably helpful for where you live. I'm sure someone from your state will chime in with some info on this eventually.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Jo said:
Call the electric company, each company has differnet plans......
It does vary by company and location. We paid $1800 to go 400 feet three years ago in North Central PA. That being said, we do not live there, but if we did we would have gotten 1500 feet free. Don't be surprised if the rates are different depending who you talk to at the electric company.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Here where I live the first 100 feet is free after that it is 6 dollars a foot. This is to be paid up front. I have heard of other electric companies offering to divide it into installments.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When we started building our house 5 years ago, they ran 1450 ft. of line free.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Depends on your power company. My Co-op ran over 1000 foot of line and put in 5 poles and transformer and meter at no charge as did the phone company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts