cost of ele to land

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by campergirl, Oct 31, 2004.

1. campergirl

campergirl Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know just how expensive it is to get ele to a vacant lot. Nearest pole is aroung 2000 ft away. Thanks

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It obviously depends where you live.
    In Ontario it's very expensive. Basically, if you lay $5 bills end to end for the distance from the pole to the meter, that's about what it cost several years ago. It's probably more now. 2000 ft. away would cost several thousands of dollars here. That's pretty much a certainty. This isn't probably helpful for where you live. I'm sure someone from your state will chime in with some info on this eventually.

3. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Call the electric company, each company has differnet plans......

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

It does vary by company and location. We paid $1800 to go 400 feet three years ago in North Central PA. That being said, we do not live there, but if we did we would have gotten 1500 feet free. Don't be surprised if the rates are different depending who you talk to at the electric company.

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Here where I live the first 100 feet is free after that it is 6 dollars a foot. This is to be paid up front. I have heard of other electric companies offering to divide it into installments.

6. OD

OD Well-Known Member

When we started building our house 5 years ago, they ran 1450 ft. of line free.

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on your power company. My Co-op ran over 1000 foot of line and put in 5 poles and transformer and meter at no charge as did the phone company.