Cost of building supplies are getting outrages!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 28, 2006.

1. I'm trying to get into the electrical contracting business. I haven't done the work in the last 5 years so I was kind of stunned at how prices are in some of the material I have to purchase. Well it just went even higher!!!!! Especially copper prices. Back last Febuary when I started back in business I couldn't believe a box of 12-2 romex was $76 bucks for 250 ft. Shortly after buying my first box it went up to $84 bucks. Yesterday I purchased another box and it has gone up to $91 bucks.

Anyone out there looking to build a new house or make home repairs better do it now or start purchasing the material before it goes up again.

2. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

3. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

And thanks to all those loyal Americans that buy Wal-Mart. We are our own worst enemy, but most people are too stupid to realize whats happening.

4. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

The irony to all this is that the more people in this country that insist on buying items made in China "Wal-Mart" is self defeating. The more things that are made in China, means that China's economy is booming, that means that they buy up all the worlds resources, which means that we pay more for EVERYTHING.

5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

well , in the last 5 years fuel has trippled, and NO was wiped out

6. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

yeah the big oil companies are making money hand over fist. of course that will raise prices in more than fuel . get ready it's only the begining to high prices

7. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

I know how you feel...I was looking at putting in a pole building and couldn't believe how prices have gone up......If I was going to put in a new house I think I would take a serious look at modular and manufactured housing...

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Perhaps it is just me but I dont think that "most" people are just stupid. I really believe that "most" people are just out there trying to live their lives to the best of their ability. Unfortunately with this rapidly changing world economy people may feel forced to purchase the least expensive brand of a particular item. You do not always get what you pay for and China, among other countries, has made huge leaps in the quality of their exports. While I am neither pro nor con unions I do feel (personally) that part of the explosion in prices of American goods is related to inflated wages demanded by unions. Let the blasting begin LOL!!

9. johnson

johnson Well-Known Member

the problem is not the union inflating the wage. the problem is the non union deflating the wage below the cost of living so they can increase THIER profit. the union champions the cause of the working class and tries to help them have a better life. the problem is in the segmented workforce. if we were all union we would have better working conditions. if we were all non union we would all be at the mercy of the companies and big corporations to pay and treat as they wish( ie poor as dirt to make way for their huge profits). but nothing personal just my 2 cents worth.

10. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

It certainly is tempting to blame China or Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart customers or greedy corporations or unions for high prices.

Is it just possible, however, that instead of "prices are going up" the real situation is that "the buying power of the dollar is going down"?

Is it possible that unwise fiscal policies (to put it kindly) by the government (all branches) and the Federal Reserve (a private monopoly) are responsible for loss of value (confidence) in FRNs?

Nations are beginning to accept or request payment in currencies other than the US dollar for things they sell. Some have stopped buying treasury “paper” (loaning money to the US government). They can openly say that the dollar is threatened by massive debt and irresponsible financial policies and that they would rather have other currencies or precious metals.

US citizens are slow to understand the implications of massive and increasing debt, unrestrained printing of more money, and unprecedented waste ($300 billion on a pointless war, for openers). Citizens of other nations are quicker to catch on because they have fewer illusions and less incentive to “believe in” the US dollar.

Can we blame China or Wal-Mart for the alarming increase in price of education, medical care and medicine, insurance, food, real estate, etc?

Would we be more realistic to say that our expenses require even increasing numbers of dollars while our income is not increasing to keep pace?

11. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

The real problem is we are the biggest DEBTOR nation. We owe the the big exporter nations of the world money, lots of money. It seems as tho some economoic "genius" figurd we could spend ourselves rich. You see, we'll be paying off all those debts with cheaper dollars. The one thing they FORGOT was that cheaper dollars mean new items COST more, escalating debt exponentially. I'm waiting for the day we get up and tune in the news to hear the government announcing:
    " Everybody get out your checkbooks/bankbooks/cash money. Now move the decimal point one place to the left. This represents you current assets. DO NOT use the same method to recalculate your debt, that will remain the same. Now go to work and earn those new dollars to pay off that old debt. Oh, and have a good day"

12. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Just read that its costing the US Mint 1.4cents to make a penny. Sounds like the US GOvernment. About time they get rid of it.

13. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

I fully think that the root cause of the higher prices has to come down to greed. that is the greed that has the mega companies chasing a 300 percent profit or as much as they think the cosumer will pay. years ago a good profit margin would be 3 to 6 perent. But just as the oil have increased to inflate their bottom line so will the other companies follow suit. This is the down side of public traded stock. Must always have an ever higher dividend. But we the end cosumer will do our part so as the ceo`s will look good and recieve thier 450 millon dollar retirements.

Billy

14. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Ya it is so easy to blame Walmart greed and things like that .. but my goodness think of just how many houses are being rebuilt from last years hurricane season. AND besides ALL the plywood that was used in boarding up up windows. THAT is most of that raise in wood prices.. Not your Walmarts or greed thing at all.~! And Look at the Housing boom that is STILL going on in some areas my area for sure. And Big Houses not just a bedroom or 2 But Huge ones. The Housing Boom that has lasted now for quite a few years is another contributor to higher costs in building material. But Ya Blame things on Walmart and China That is the easy way out and oh I forgot It Is Bush's fault also~! Oh ya that has to be added in the mix :grump:

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........................We have NObody to blame but ourselves ! Specifically , for continuing to elect Lobbyists to Congress who are posing as legislators , BUSH being the Chief Lobbyist enshrined in the WHite House . Wages in China are\will begin to rise as workers there demand a level of Disposable income to allow Wong Fu and Che Wawa to afford some semblence of the AmeriKan lifestyle . The economies of scale associated with low wages that American based manufacturers and retailers have enjoyed so far will begin to erode that finanical disparity which allowed the Wal Marts to achieve high levels of Profitability . To compensate some mfgers will move their plants out of China to other less developed countries but will incurr a potential problem in that their governing stability will be MUCH less dependable than that which they enjoyed in China .
    ...........................The potential UPside of this increasing foreign wage scenerio will be that Some Previously based American mfgers will find it Advantageous to reestablish their plants back onto American soil even if it means that their profit margins won't achieve the same levels that they enjoyed while based in other low wage countries . Atleast here , they understand the language , laws and political system and the workers all speak the same Lingo.......eSpanish.... :p fordy... :eek: :bouncy:

16. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Housing materials have been jumping in price for years. The housing boom has slowwed and I've lived long enough to see prices over the years, hurricanes or no. China is in full swing and they need building materials for a whole lot more people and places than we.

The discussion is for building material. It was no secret the prices were going to jump years ago nor why. Pricing for studs, copper pipe and wiring all jumped. I just want to see the prices stop climbing.

As for the rest. Many of the economic problems with China will slowly resolve as they come into their own as a world power and their monetary system is forced out from under their thumb.

17. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Excellent Post! Enough said.

18. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Amazing that there can be so many "experts" that blame everything but the truth. First, the Wal-Mart angle is simply ridiclious. The man is refering to COPPER wiring, not cheap t-shirts. Secondly, some of you hateful types have to play the union card at every turn, let go already. Unions have reached a virtual state of statistical insignificance in this country. The biggest loser is the average working man, who is watching his standard of living rapidly decline. The bottom line is supply and demand here, boys and girls, not the evil unions, corporations or any other black helicopter conspiracies you want to drool about. We need to wake up to who we are in the world. We are a country with less than 5% of the world's population, consuming 20-25% of the worlds resources. The fact is, this is simply unsustainable. As the rest of the world starts to ramp up their consumption driven societies, basics like metals, raw materials, and oil are not going to be cheap and readily available. Copper prices have risen 62% on the world market recently due to demand, not due to some greedy union janitor in NYC that would like to get a few dimes more in his paycheck to scrub your toilet. We are beginning an economic upheaval that will drastically alter the future livestyle of all of us, particularly the majority of us that are not rich. Blaming everything other than the truth will only cause more frustration. It's simple,there isn't enough to go around, and it's going to get a lot worse until we develop new ideas and understanding of where we are heading as a society.

19. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Tiogacounty, though I might have said it a little differently, what you say is right on target.

The bill has come due and we don't like it. We kick and scream and blame whoever we can. But, reality will prevail -- even if we attempt to hold position with nukes. Being outnumbered 20:1 is unlikely to succeed in the long run.

Perhaps we would be well advised to modify our thinking and our lifestyle in an orderly fashion instead of waiting for them to be changed abruptly by forces beyond our control.