corrigated tin roofing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jim63129, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jim63129

jim63129 Member

Help.

Our deer hunting group bought 72 sheets of 10 x 2 ft sheets to re-do the barn on our lease. I know you put the screw on the humps rather than the valleys. How far apart are the screws places. A link to a web-site that gives instruction for installing a corrigated metal roof would be great.

Thanks, Jim

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

There are as many kinds of metal roofing as you can shake a stick at and most require a specific way of nailing or screwing to ensure the warantee. You'd be better off contacting the place you purchased your roofing at to see what the manufacturer requires or recommends. Stuff's too expensive to mess up.

3. jim63129

jim63129 Member

We bought it Bocheits in Herculanium, MO. I asked the woman that sold it to me and she could not tell me. This is just the plain ole 30 guage galvinized corrigated tin. I know it's 26 inches wide and it gets overlapped two inches. We can overlap the length by 4 to 6 inches without a problem. I just need to know how far apart to place screws.

4. Abe R Crombie

Abe R Crombie Well-Known Member

Jim,your screws will have to go into something solid,into the truss and or strapping under the roofing, that will dictate where to put the screw nails.Hope this helps,
    ARC

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Jim, I am assuming there are purlins on this barn. I put a screw every 6 - 8 inches across, depending on the ridge pattern. Do this at every purlin and you shouldn't have any problems.

Sylvar

6. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe a bit closer if you are in a high wind area. Like every other "hump". At least on the ends. Just a little insurance.
    Ed