Correct placement of smoke alarms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by clovis, Nov 13, 2006.

1. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My wife and I are having a 'home study' done for an adoption of our future daughter.

The state mandates that we have a smoke alarm in each room, but they don't say WHERE in the room it should be placed.

My big fear is that I will install these on the ceiling within 1 foot of the door, and the state social worker will say that the placement is incorrect.

Thanks in advance!!!!
    clove

2. FirestopR

FirestopR Member

near the center of the ceiling will work if due to a light fixture ur unable to set on direct center i see no problem in placing it toward the door

remember some of the important things in fire safty

1. check you detectors and change the batteries often check em every month and change the batteries ever 6
    2. at night keep all the doors closed bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, ect. this can slow down the spread of fire and smoke buying your family preciouse seconds.
    3. placing them in every room is great but do not forget hallways and passages outside of bedrooms is a must.
    4. have a plan rememeber if you house does catch on fire u may become over whelmed very quickly from fire or smoke stay low and have mulitable ways out and have a meeting place away from the home .........do not under any circumstance go back into the house........I know that can sound heartless if ur pet is in there but if all humans are out the best u can do is hope ur pets are out if you go back in ur chances for survival drop about 50% every minit.

hope this helps :angel:

3. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

My guess is that they would tell you that they were in the wrong place and give you time to fix it and get it in the correct location

I know that ignorance is no excuse but surely they will give you a list of things that arent done that need to be done before you can get your daughter....then after a determined amount of time they will come back to see if you have corrected the issues.

Just a guess

Rachel

PS you prob will have to install a small kitchen fire extinguisher in the kitchen too.

4. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

On a typical flat ceiling bedroom there is a "cove" of dead air where the wall meets the ceiling. This is about 6" wide. The instructions with the alarm will be more specific, but anywhere away from this dead air area is usually fine.

5. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

If you live in a building code jurisdiction, call them. Around here, they specify where they should go.

6. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

If in doubt ask you local fire department.

7. FirestopR

FirestopR Member

I could not agree with that most of the time smoke tends to have a rolling affect
    that can kinda skip over corners.

One home i once went into had plenty of smoke detectors problem was they where all placed below the window sills where they could be hidden with the drapes it took us almost 20 minits to explain to the homeowner that such placement would result in a deadly smoke condition well before they would activate

always be mindful of how u protect your family and home. And when in doubt call the FD non emergency number and request for them to come out and check your home most offer the service free of charge.

8. I happen to be a electrician and have installed hundreds of smoke detectors. I always place mine close to the door and on the wall. They must be within 8 inches from the ceiling and be interconnected to all smoke detecters in the house so that when one sounds off, they all sound off.

I usually run 12/2 nm cable to the first smoke detector box and then run 14/3 from the 1st s.d. to the 2nd, to the 3rd, 4th, and fifth.

9. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Call the state social worker people and ask them what they recommend, as it's them you have to please.

Good luck on your adoption!

10. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

We also are having a home study done and the first social worker who came out said everyroom at the door.
    We are now in the paperwork process. DH needs to finish his portion then we can send it in. Did you go with private adoption or state?
    WE are doing the special needs state adoption.
    Good luck.
    and to know you are getting a girl.
    Congradulations

11. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

Last week a lady with the fire department brought smoke alarms to my home and showed me where the best placements would be. She said to place them in the celing 12"-18" from the doorways. That will be out of the dead zone. If your celings are plaster use double sided sticky tape to put the up. At least once a year you should clean the sensors with a slightly moist cloth. They can get dusty and filmy so that needs to be cleaned off for best sensitivity. If you have electric make sure you also have battery back up. Ours have 10 year Lithium powercells, still check often. Our house is 2 stories and 1900 sq. ft. She recommended 6 alarms. That includes one in each used bedroom. There was no cost for her to come out. You might call your local fire department. I have always found them to be more than will to help with inspections and educating. They inspected our fireplaces/chimneys when purchases our house for free. Some also have wonderful programs for the senior citizen that can install and give free smoke alarms to.

If you can't reach the celing easily, she said the smoke alarms fit perfectly in a commode plunger (the open round type). You just put the alarm in it, place it to the base in the celing and turn. Or if you use sticky tape, just put the tape on the alarm and stick it to the celing. Use a broom handle to press the test button.

12. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

That is right, CatsPaw.
    I have installed them in every home I have built and the code in Virginia, is 12" from the ceiling and they have to be interconnected, so if one goes off because of a fire, say in a bedroom on the other side of the house, they all go off.
    They have battery powered alarms, but in a new home here they have to be 120 volt, with a battry back up in case the power is off.
    You have to have one in all bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen, halls, and also one under the house, wheather you have a basement or just a crawl space. If you have a basement and it has rooms particianed off, there must be one in each room. None goes in the bathrooms, according to our code. They say the steam sets them off.
    But like CatsPaw said. Call the inspectors office. They will tell you what the codes are in your state.
    God Bless
    Dennis

13. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Wow...Thank you for the responses!!!

Can you believe I never even thought about calling the fire department!?!? I might just stop in the nearest department today...they are just a half mile away.

Thanks so much!!!!
    clove

14. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I think they only have to be interconnected in new construction -
    Best wishes with your adoption!