Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get corn starch for little or nothing. Has anyone fed this? I would be feeding it to poultry, pigs, and my cow. I would imagine it would be high energy, low protein. Has anyone fed this and if so how much of your ration was starch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would want to know the nutritional properties of anything I fed to poultry or stock Tink.. Corn products are very low in protein and highly deficient in many viatmins..especially the B vitamins. Then I would want to know how stable the product is and how easily it's digested. Does it block the assimilation of other nutrients? Does it affect calcium absorbtion? This affects milk and egg production. How about water..how does it affect water consumption?

IF your are depending on your stock and poultry for top performance you need to get some answers before unbalancing your feeding program.

Just thoughts from my pointy little head. LOL

LQ

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LQ, I'm aware that all feeds are not equal. Adding this to my ration brings my feed bill down to near $0. For me "performance" means producing meat, milk, and eggs for the lowest possible cost and this feed fits the bill nicely.

A

·
0 Posts
Corn starch is so highly refined as to be essentially just pure carbohydrate - virtually no protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber or anything so far as I can recall.

I suppose you could use it in feed if you had something high in protein to mix it with, but I'd be concerned about palatability and having sufficient fiber.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A.T. Hagan said:
Corn starch is so highly refined as to be essentially just pure carbohydrate - virtually no protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber or anything so far as I can recall.

I suppose you could use it in feed if you had something high in protein to mix it with, but I'd be concerned about palatability and having sufficient fiber.

.....Alan.
Well, I'm mixing it with cheese which is almost all fat and protein. The critters free range enough to take care of their fiber needs.

A

·
0 Posts
You have access to some curious feed ingredients.

If you've got access to cheap cheese and corn starch I'd try mixing it with some feed bran or shredded beet pulp then feeding it and observe what happens for about two weeks.

I can't get at my feed nutrition books so I'm going off the top of my head, but I'd try five parts corn starch to one part cheese and mix that with about two parts bran or beet pulp. A hopper of free choice oyster shell on the side.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A.T. Hagan said:
You have access to some curious feed ingredients.

If you've got access to cheap cheese and corn starch I'd try mixing it with some feed bran or shredded beet pulp then feeding it and observe what happens for about two weeks.

I can't get at my feed nutrition books so I'm going off the top of my head, but I'd try five parts corn starch to one part cheese and mix that with about two parts bran or beet pulp. A hopper of free choice oyster shell on the side.

.....Alan.
Well, cheese is 40% protein so assuming that starch has none then a ratio of 2 starch to 1 cheese (unless my math is wrong) would be around 13% protein. I'm not worried to too much about fiber since all my critters are free range/pastured.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
I know Minnesota is known for cheese...... but is it so common that the stuff just runs down rivers, and you shovel barrels full of it and take it home to feed the critters.

Free Cheese? Inquiring scroungers want to know!

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
texican said:
I know Minnesota is known for cheese...... but is it so common that the stuff just runs down rivers, and you shovel barrels full of it and take it home to feed the critters.

Free Cheese? Inquiring scroungers want to know!
LOL, I work in a cheese processing plant. We make grated parmesan and romano cheese. I get whatever hits the floor :)

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
tinknal said:
I get whatever hits the floor :)
...an extra oops every now and then, depending on how hungry the farm critters are? :angel: Sounds like a great source... do you find yourself falling into the "work there/hate that" syndrome? Folks who work with ice cream or donuts or whatever, all day long, after a few months start to loathe the smell of the food they have to deal with daily... I'd sure hate to start disliking cheese. I could go a long time without drinking straight milk, but I'd sorely miss cheese.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
texican said:
...an extra oops every now and then, depending on how hungry the farm critters are? :angel: Sounds like a great source... do you find yourself falling into the "work there/hate that" syndrome? Folks who work with ice cream or donuts or whatever, all day long, after a few months start to loathe the smell of the food they have to deal with daily... I'd sure hate to start disliking cheese. I could go a long time without drinking straight milk, but I'd sorely miss cheese.
LOL, we lose more than my critters will eat so no need for the extra oops. It's pretty salty so they self regulate pretty well on it. Been there nearly 2 years and I still like cheese and I love the smell. Granted I used to eat about a half pound a shift but now I'm down to a nibble here and there.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rambler said:
Le Sueur? How close to me are you?

--->Paul
Milaca. Just guessing, around 150 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
I'm by the world's largest butter plant of AMPI - or so it says - in New Ulm. Got Borden's making powdered milk, & Kraft has one of their bigger cheese plants in town. Sleepy Eye, Le Sueur, Winthrop, and others all have cheese or butter plants. Lot of dairy processors around here.

--->Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts