corners on a post and rail fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chaplain robert, Jan 20, 2004.

1. chaplain robert

chaplain robert Well-Known Member

I want to redo my pasture fences in a more horse friendly fence than the barb that came with the place. I plan to build a post and rail fence because I can do that by myself a section at a time as the money is available. I have looked at lots of them as I have driven around but am confused about the corners. I want the rails on the inside for when the horses lean on the fence but this creates a bit of a problem at the corners. What are some different methods for dealing with this. Right now I am leaning towards having 2 posts close to the end of each fence run and just extending the rails a little past the end post to where they will meet. I built a large 3 rail arena when we first moved here, the project isn't that bad once the holes are done. But my oval arena, obviously, doesn't have any right angle corners. What to do, what to do?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Since, with the design you are using, you are not using the corners as anchors I see nothing wrong with the approach you mentioned in your statement with the double posts. If you plan the location of the 2 posts, you should be able to secure one set of rails to both posts and the other set to one post and that should configure for a stronger corner.

3. chaplain robert

chaplain robert Well-Known Member

That is an excellent idea. I hadn't thought of or seen any like that. But if I just ended each fence run where a set of rails would span from on side of the fence to the other, I can keep all my rails on the inside and just have slightly rounded corners. Thanks a lot!

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Post and Rail fences using lodgepole pine around here alternately stack one rail onto the top or bottom of the next set so a corner set ends or turns without problem as the next set looks like the set before, I understand there is a market for lodgepole railing in the thorobred ranches in Kentucky that are sawn in half making it easier to nail up a 21 foot rail [over lap 12 inches on each end]

Yeah it is harder to nail up a round rail than a flat board but it looks great when it is finished....I intend to put up my wifes round pen this spring with lodgepole rail we will go out on the National forest and get ourselves...... stumpage cost is .10 each for a 21 foot rail, and limit is 250 per year and i can cut and haul about 50 in a day from where i have cut post and rails before for other folks.

Anyhow rail fences are worth the effort they take in putting them up and keeping them up.... but when they start to fall apart you have to make the time to repair or replace everything at once again.... about 10 - 15 years down the road..... life experience.