Corn?!?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kee Wan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

well - another disapointing year in corn. I plant calico/Indian corn for dryign/soup. Last year, it didn't germinate for beans and each ear had only a handful of corn on it. SOmeone said that I had to plant more - an absolute min of 4x4 to get it to germinate right....

THis year - I planted 10x6 in a failrly tight plot - and got all the corn up - but some was stunted - very tiny - adn other grew to normal height. It was all about done today - so I took it out - many cobs had only three or four kernels of corn on them....some none at all. Only two had filled out most of the way.....

Could it have been the earwigs that were constantly in teh silk....EVERY time I went out there - the silks were FULL of earwigs - adn by the time the corn was up - the silk was totally eaten off (which is why I thought I had NO corn to begin with - see previous post....) so it took FOREVER to look like there was any corn at all on teh stalks.....

The only upside of this is that a long-lost friend stopped in and gave me a bushel of the stuff - he had WAY too much adn some of his buyers didn't come through. SO I spent the day husking corn.....it's drying now....so I gues that all is well...

SO - perhaps I'll grow something else in that spot next year.....

Paquebot.....About that garlic.....

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Kee Wan, if you were a little closer, I've got an 18x25 patch that will be ready beginning next Monday. Not an ear out of place or looking sad. Everything looking beautiful and about 25-30 fellow gardeners all waiting for me to tell them to have at it!

It indeed sounds like there was a major earwig problem. When you first noticed them, you could have slipped out at night and given your patch a dose of Rotenone-Pyrethrin spray. Diatomaceous earth also supposedly helps deter them but just sends them looking for something else to destroy.

No garlic will be released until after 1 September. Not certain how I'd want to mention the offer here. Planting time would normally be from 15 to 30 September for our zone. Then add 15 days for each additional lower zone. 25 Martin's bulbs were shipped to Filaree's a week ago for them to trial. Those 25 bulbs weighed 14 pounds! It's the only variety that I've grown which beat Music for average bulb size.

Martin

3. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

What's the PH of the soil you're trying to grow it in? Corn only likes acid soil. Also, check its roots; it may have root-knot nematodes.

ETA: I re-read your post - earwigs would do it. Put traps at the base of each plant during pollination.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Its almost time to plant Fall corn down here. I hope to be able to in About 4 weeks. Bye the way it sounds like poor pollenation. To me.

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Indeed it's poor pollination. http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/factsht/Earwig.htm "Corn silk is a favorite food which is often consumed as it grows." The earwigs eat off the silk before it can receive any pollen. Until 1982, only a few European earwig populations were known along Lake Michigan. They showed up here perhaps 15 years ago but their route was said to come up from Illinois. Now they are everywhere!

Martin

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Tanglefoot around the stalks before the silks come out?