corn stoves and calcium

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeannieg, Dec 6, 2004.

1. jeannieg

jeannieg Guest

I recently bought a Countryside corn stove. The dealer is 100 miles away and support if difficult. I am having trouble with the fire "smothering" and corn continuing to auger in. At first tech support said the dealer installed in incorrectly, directly into my chimney, and he did not install the cold air inlet. Then the dealer said that had nothing to do with it, then backpeddaled and thought the auger switch might be bad. Well, since he is 100 miles away.....I am trying to catch the stove in "action" but it goes out when I am not looking. Then the dealer thought my corn might be too wet - it tested 14%. He has also suggested finely ground oyster shell, but it only comes in large pebble sizes here and they are unwilling to grind only a few bags at a time. Would calcium work the same, since that is what is in oyster shells, or is it something else in the shell that is the ingredient that I need? The feeder sells bags of calcium.

Any thoughts on this would sure be helpful.

Thanks

2. ksredman

ksredman Well-Known Member

You might want to try mixing corn and wood pellets together, the wood pellets burn easier and keep the fire going.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yup, you can do that , or tell the store where you bought it, to come fix it , or you are bringing it back. if they don't come fix it , take it back, and find another dealer, that will install it, and fix it when broken. I think Lowes and all of the farm stores sell them , and install them. that way, you will have a working stove.

4. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. Having learned the hard way about this, it sounds like they are trying to stall you until the warranty runs out. Give them a short set time to fix it, during which you will tell everyone you know how they are cheating you, and then take it back!

5. Lynn & Chuck

Lynn & Chuck Member

We have one of their corn stoves as well and it took some work to get the settings just right. We had problems with the corn smothering the fire too and here are some of the things we did to get it working right.

Our exhaust goes out the side of the house seperate from our chimney and we have the cold air intake set up as well. I feel that the cold air intake was very important because we had tried it with a small mesh rodent screen on it and the airflow was impeded and the corn smothered the fire repeatedly like you are mentioning. Once we took the small mesh off and put a larger holed mesh on the airflow is much better and the stove burns well now.

We also found that inside the door there were two screws for the backdraft I think it is called. They were supposed to be factory set most of the way open and instead they were nearly closed. We found them and got them set right and that helped considerably.

Also we had to try a number of different settings on the draft knob depending somewhat on the moisture percentage of the corn. We had some that was about 14% and had more trouble with it. Our new stockpile is about 10-11% and burns much better.

I had heard about the oyster shell too, but then we had heard that it can score the auger area and possibly void the warrenty. We bought a bag of clean burn pellets which I think are wood and a calcium mix of some sort. $27 for 50# but you only use about a cup or cup and a half for each full hopper so it looks like the bag should last most of the winter.

Hope this helps some, please pm us if there is anything we can do to assist. I know I was really frustrated when we first got it for exactly the same reason you are and now that we have it set and working right I absolutely love it. I can keep the house warm at considerably less cost than my fuel oil furnace.

Lynn