corn smut

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Gary in ohio, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been haunted by corn smut for years. The first year I planted I had a nice crop, the second year a few stalks of corn smut, the third year almost all smut.

How do I get out of this cycle? I plant just a few 20ft long rows so there is not much to work with. Is there a good smut reistant variety of corn available?

2. boogeyman87

boogeyman87 Member

That crap is actually a delicacy to some people, try and find a market for it.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You have smut worse on some varieties than others. I would get a different seed. Are you planting any of the newer super sweet hybreds? Great taste.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Gary, I was told that it will overwinter in the soil and that you should never let it dry and go "dusty". My suggestion would be to plant it in an entirely different area if you can and go with a smut resistant strain. As soon as you see a piece, pick it off and burn it. GardensAlive has a website.......perhaps they have an organic spray that would fight it. Might be worth checking.

5. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

Yep. Huitlacoche. If I were still in the Bay Area I could have sold it for $15 a pound. As it is I couldn't bring myself to try it.