corn silage

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by .netDude, Sep 9, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Anyone have any luck feeding corn silage to pigs? I just got a ton for $20, and started replacing one 'scoop' of cracked corn with a shovel full of silage, with the hopes of switching to more silage. (only for the feeders, not my pregnant sow, and they all still get the hog grower / feeder commercial mix). They don't seem to care too much for it, but I just started yesterday so maybe they have to get used to it. Just wondering if anyone had any positive or negative experience with this.
    Thanks.

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Don't know about corn silage but we gleaned some silage from a neighbor's alfalfa field. It was chopped and probably sat in the field a day before we picked it up. We packed it into big plastic tubs and fed it to them. They loved it.

3. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

We just started chopping silage on Saturday - been giving the pigs several pails full a day. They love it.

4. .netDude

Can it be used as a replacement for cracked corn?

5. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

I don't know... we feed it in addition to other feeds.

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I would have to say no, it's not the same thing. Cracked corn is corn kernals. Corn sileage is the entire corn plant. But, then again we feed very little corn to our hogs.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you can maintain the corn silage as corn silage it can be used to feed sows that are just being maintained. If the silage is permitted to dry out it will loose it feed value other than the corn kernals. At that point you would be feeding some corn and fodder which the animals will only partially consume unless starving. To properly maintain silage is more of a task and an investment in equipment than it worth IMO to feed a few hogs.

8. .netDude

So I ended up getting a ton, stored it between 2 pieces of plywood against at block wall, and had it covered with a tarp. It took a couple days, but the 5 young pigs and sow did eat it pretty well. When it dried out in their pen, it did became bedding (and appears to soak up more moisture than hay). Agree with Agmain, it was kind of a pain to maintain it, and I did get a bit of mold on the top and sides. I guess if I had better facilities to maintain it, it may be worth it. As it stands, I probably won't get another load.

I picked it up on 9/10, finished it 9/24, fed it to 5 pigs, 1 boar, 1 sow, along with most of their daily ration. Beeves got a treat a couple times, and the rest went to the manure pile as it was pretty moldy.

The silage idea was to save a little on the feed bill. This month, I bought cracked corn bulk. Had a ton dumped in the back of my pickup. Will save about $40 over bagged.

Thanks for the input.