corn sifter?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lizi, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Lizi

Lizi Active Member

Hi all, just got the corn burner installed today and am loving it...the bathroom is 74° now and usually it is that only in July! I am looking for plans to make a corn sifter, to shake out the flyaway particles and maybe seperate the smaller pieces for my animals to eat. Any help is appreciated!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What about useing 1/4 inch hardware cloth. To make A sifter box, And rig A motor to it to shake the corn , that way the smaller parts fall into A bucket. You may want to motorize it too.

3. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

lizi, take a look at iburncorn.com this is a forum that will answer any question you could ever have, and more.

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

What you realy are talking about is a seed cleaner. They are all over the place and cost little to have. You can buy them at auctions farm sales and grage sales. The hardware cloth could be used but the seed clleaner uses a flat sheet with holes in it for the grain to fall through.

5. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

I've been planning on building the same thing. Hardware clothe is a little big for my purposes. Although it would be good to let the corn thru and catch the bigger stuff. But, I want something that will hold the corn and let the little stuff fall thru. Somewhere along the line there will be a blower or small fan to blow away the chaff. I think that gutter screen looks like a good size. Motor will be in there to shake things too.

But I don't have any formal plans yet. Still looking for all the parts that I can use.

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Yep go to the Iburncorn.com site and build a Kan burn, or there are plans for other items there, plus it is THE best site for corn burning.
    Congrats on the corn burner, I love mine.

carol

7. Lizi

Lizi Active Member

Thanks for the help-that is what I will do!

8. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

The one I have seen uses 1/2 inch hardware cloth first to filter out the chunks of cob, ect.(the corn falls through) Then 1/4 inch hardware cloth to filter out the dust and other small particals, (the junk falls through).

9. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

compressed air or a strong fan blowing across the corn as its moved will remove any flyings

10. Lizi

Lizi Active Member

Aha! Problem solved. We got the mini 2 stage cyclone seperator, it is a lid that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. We put two hoses into the lid, one sucks the corn out of the bag, the corn drops into the 5 gallon pail and the other hose sucks the dust into the shop vac! I found it on amazon.com. Just type in mini 2 stage cyclone seperator. Works for me!