Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thawed a couple quarts of freezer corn for a family picnic today. Unfortunately, because it so hot and humid DH doesn't feel well enough to go. I don't suppose I should go myself since I don't sweat and can get heat fatigue very quickly and not know it.

Anybody have main dish recipes in which I could do with all this freezer corn? I don't like cornbread. Blech! I hate cornmeal and don't keep it in the house.

(Yes, I am un-American. I hate potato chips, cornbread, hot dogs, watermelon and a bunch of other things everybody else seems to like. While we have a ton of bacon, DD hates it so any recipes containing bacon have to be where bacon can be added when serving.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I like chicken corn chowder (can be made without bacon), Mexican corn pie or taco soup. There's also black bean, corn and turkey chili. Recipes can be found online. It's obviously more expensive, but lobster corn chowder is to die for! :)

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like chicken corn chowder (can be made without bacon), Mexican corn pie or taco soup. There's also black bean, corn and turkey chili. Recipes can be found online. It's obviously more expensive, but lobster corn chowder is to die for! :)
Do you suppose I could use flour instead of corn meal? I hate corn meal so don't keep it in the house.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I didn't quite find a recipe that really sounded good so doctored a couple to make it ours. DD, a food critic who hates vegetables, says it's a good way to eat vegetables without them tasting like vegetables.

Corn Chili

Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 tomatoes
2 pints tomato sauce
*2 quarts freezer corn
3T taco seasoning
1t chili powder
1t salt
1t pepper
1T honey

Directions:
  1. Place corn in crock pot.
  2. Brown onion.
  3. When onion nearly browned, add garlic.
  4. Place onions and garlic to crock pot with corn.
  5. Cook down diced tomatoes a bit. If possible, kind of brown them.
  6. Add tomatoes to corn mixture.
  7. Mix in remaining ingredients.
  8. Cook about three hours on high. (Of course, you could heat at a lower temperature for a longer time.)

*My freezer corn contains a brine of 1 cup of water, 1T sugar and 1t salt. I do not believe I'd add water if I was using fresh or canned corn. I would adjust final soup by adding additional honey and/or salt as necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Do you suppose I could use flour instead of corn meal? I hate corn meal so don't keep it in the house.
Sorry I'm too late, been working all day. You could probably use flour or maybe even half flour and half corn that you run through the blender. It's basically to thicken with. All flour might give it a little different taste, but if you did half flour and half corn puree it would probably work fine. Hope your corn chili turned out good! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts