Corn question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chma4, Nov 13, 2005.

1. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

My husband has been feeding my bucks and whethers whole corn kernals along side my cows to distract them while the cows eat. I keep my boys on pasture and qood quality hay. Is this corn okay for them? I used to feed grain until I learned (the hard way) about urinary culiculli. Could the corn cause this as well?
    Is there anything else you could suggest adding or subtracting from their diet? I add vinegar to their water and offer a goat mineral and salt block.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

what i do to keep the goats away from each other's grain (or in your case the cow feed) is put buckle collars on them all and then take a cheapo family dollar leash over the fenceline t-post an hook them too it. then they all have thier individual bowls. I unhook them when everyone is done. but I always hook and unhook them in the same order, dominant first. i would simply use a feed that has ammonium chloride and feed very little grain. Another thing to check is to see if your area is selenium deficiant, and you could supply loose salt with selenium addetive.

3. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Whole corn is terrible for teeth, like as in breaking teeth. I would change to something along the lines of a meat goat pellet that has AC in it and then only give them about 1/2 pound ea. That would be something good for them and keep chances of UC down too.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If your boys are getting more than a little bit of corn I would discourage this. Too much corn causes all sorts of problems even polio. Bucks and wethers do just fine on hay and some pasture.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just on the cracking teeth part, we buy a cracked corn and use that along with grain, for the girls, will it hurt their teeth if it is cracked corn?

6. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

IMHO, If you feel as though you need to feed corn...which I so some....I feed steel cut corn. It isn't mashed like some is that carries so many mycotoxins and it isn't whole that is so hard on their teeth.