corn pollen

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by zealot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I know that some people are allergic to corn, and a lot of people are allergic to pollen, but what about corn pollen? Would all the pollen produced by a cornfield be an allergy contributor?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I think so. At least I get a throat irration and a hacking cough every year when the pollen falls, but we also have giant ragweed pollen about the same time.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Around here people many folks get cold symptoms when the cottonwoods are throwing off cotton....yuk. But that's also when black locusts are in bloom and none of those people have ever smelled those flowers before. Yet they insist that they are allergic to cottonwoods. It is more visible. About the corn pollen, I'd have to say that it all depends on whether the size of the corn pollen is small enough to adversrely affect people. It is possible to be allergic to, I just don't know if it is feasible. Just like people thinking they are allergic to goldenrod, when in fact ragweed is more likely the cause since they are both in bloom at the same time and ragweeds pollen is much lighter and smaller than goldenrod.

4. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I know that I am allergic to the different kinds of grass pollens in our area; the allergy test was positive for them. Isn't corn a type of grass?

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

After spending some time in central Illinois going to school, some good friends moved to Minnesota to get away from all the corn pollen -- he could barely breathe during the summers.

Yes, corn is a member of the grass family.

When the cottonwoods are sending out their cotton, a seed is attached to each bit of fluff. The pollen has already done its work and is gone. I'm betting that the people who are complaining are actually allergic to grass pollens, as its pretty well in bloom around here -- and the air is full of cottonwood cotton, too!

6. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I'm terribly allergic to corn pollen. Also allergic to touching the leaves. When I pick corn my arms get all red and itchy.

7. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I have a similar reaction to wheat. I can walk through a wheat field, or handle wheat straw, or wheat grain that has chaff in it, and I break out in a rash every where it touches me.

8. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I'm allergic to black and red oaks. I used to live on a hill that was thickly wooded with them, and every April their catkins would come into bloom.