Corn pellet wood stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JHoff, Dec 25, 2003.

1. JHoff

JHoff New Member

Anyone have a corn pellet stove? How good are they? Any commonsense information would be appreciated. Thanks

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Supplying the corn for the amout of heat required sometime is to expensive.

Something to look into if you have to buy corn.

3. Bill in Tn

Bill in Tn Active Member

After heating for decades with woodburners, I decided to try a pellet/corn stove. It was an expensive mistake. Expensive to buy, expensive to operate, and nowhere near as much heat. I advise against it.

4. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Corn is cheap right now. So are wood pellets.

Friend just installed a pellet stove designed to burn wood pellets but can be used with corn once the heat cycle is started. It required electricity to operate so is useless in a power outage.

He says it works well when running, silent, puts out a lot of heat, runs off a thermostat like a furnace. He claims it is supposed to run all winter on a ton and a half of wood pellets at $90 per ton.

On the other hand, it has no heat sink and cools off quickly once the thermostat cuts it off. Does not come on again until the house cools so you cannot back up to it and get warm if you are coming in out of the cold.

He has always before cut his own wood and heated with a wood burner. I think he may regret the change if pellet prices go up.