Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that when we talk about grain mills, we're mostly talking about grinding wheat. I'd like to get a separate mill to use for corn. I'm wondering if the best one would be one of the inexpensive Porkert type mills. When I look at those, though, some of them look like they might be made of lead covered with silver paint.

Any recommendations for a mill to grind corn?

I just ordered another Family Grain Mill and this time I got the flaker, too. Woohoo! I gave my last one to my DDIL. I ordered both of them from Pleasant Hill Grain and I'm very pleased with their service.

But, I don't know if I would want to use this for grinding corn. In fact, I think it says in the product information not to grind popcorn with it.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I have two separate mills because the first one I bought won't grind corn. So I got a second mill, and set the first one aside for wheat -- DD and I have celiac and can't eat wheat or anything contaminated with it, but Grandma can eat it. Just make sure that the mill you buy is capable of grinding corn, which is harder than wheat.

Kathleen

G

·
A Porkert or Corona will handle corn just fine. In fact that is what they are designed to grind. The silvery coloring is just tin plate over the cast iron and is quite safe.

With a brand new mill I'd grind a pound or two of corn first then use it for chicken feed or compost. This will get any loose metal particles out so that you can then use it for milling corn to eat.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have two separate mills because the first one I bought won't grind corn. So I got a second mill, and set the first one aside for wheat -- DD and I have celiac and can't eat wheat or anything contaminated with it, but Grandma can eat it. Just make sure that the mill you buy is capable of grinding corn, which is harder than wheat.
Kathleen

My grandsons have allergy issues. Right now, there are no problems but if something happened and they had to go almost exclusively to wheat I'm afraid they could develop an allergy to it. I have both wheat and rice put back and now I want to start with corn and oats.

A Porkert or Corona will handle corn just fine. In fact that is what they are designed to grind. The silvery coloring is just tin plate over the cast iron and is quite safe.

With a brand new mill I'd grind a pound or two of corn first then use it for chicken feed or compost. This will get any loose metal particles out so that you can then use it for milling corn to eat. .....Alan.
Thanks, Alan! I'll check around and order one of these.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts