• Blocks of 4x4 or more

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • acres

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hills 3' or more apart

• Hills closer than that, in blocks/ groups of hills

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Hills solo/ solitary with several plants in it, no neighboring hills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have corn started in spots 1' or so apart on a raised area prior compost pile, mulched around spots leaves and cow manure. Rereading how to plant in hills (of course I can't find which book I read to plant the first area) found this and decided Woot Woot I don't need to cut the 6 plants down to 2 in my prior planting. Of course I will need plenty water and fertilizer, and expect 0-1 ear per stalk not 2 since my hills are awful close to each other. Next area leaves/ cow manure alternating raised area, pockets of dirt in it for the 'hills' of 5 new and 3 very old corn seeds. Anyone try this tight a method before with any success? Suggestions please aside from you're an idjit, space them out more (the alternative to this is pretty much not growing corn).

Growing corn using the hill method - Our Stoney Acres

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,669 Posts
You may have to hand pollinate. Corn pollen is normally carried to neighboring corn plants by the wind. That is why single rows aren't recommended. If planting in hills, the hills need to be adjacent to each other, not widely separated.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
I can't plant sweet corn because the squirrels and raccoons steal the ears and destroy what they can't eat.

But my family that has acreage and no varmint problem plant in blocks, 4' x 4' or larger. I think last year Mom and Pop did 20' x 20' blocks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rows 3' apart, 3 seed per hole in the rows 1' between each clump of seeds. When the corn is all germinated I go and put 3 bush bean seeds in between each clump of corn in the rows. If I'm feeling energetic ill plant whole rows of bush beans in between the rows of corn also.

Bush beans will finish their whole cycle before the corn grows up and closes its canopy, easy to work and easy to harvest. Vining beans are a pain in the butt, they grow up all over the corn and make a general mess.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I planted a 5' by 6' grid this spring, all plants 10-12 inches apart with no extra row spacing. I just dont have room for that 3' apart rows nonsense and i feel like they should pollinate better if they grow closer together

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
What you don't see--underground---is the key to growing good corn. In conventional growing, each single root will take up about the same underground cubic footage as a fat traffic cone (maybe even a 30 gal. garbage can)--and it still takes all the nitrogen you can get into that space. If you crowd four or five of them into a space that normally holds one, you take a chance of starving them out.

You will want to moniter the stalk growth to make sure they are getting enough nitrogen to make big diameters before tne bamboo-like nodules develop and get tough . It will be too late if you go out one afternoon and find a bunch of spindly stalks that aren't producing any ears....(or, they can't stand up in the wind)

geo

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I planted a 5' by 6' grid this spring, all plants 10-12 inches apart with no extra row spacing. I just dont have room for that 3' apart rows nonsense and i feel like they should pollinate better if they grow closer together
RJ please keep us posted. What is your zone, likely maturity month of your corn? Mine is 8b, likely ripe by mid/end May one plot, start July other one.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
I had a 5-7 foot rectangle last year and it did okay. I probably didn't hand pollinate enough. There were a few ears that were blanks but the rest did okay and I would try again. Definitely easier for me to add fertilizer to a small geometric shape than a long thin row. And the less surface area means more goes directly to the corn.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
RJ please keep us posted. What is your zone, likely maturity month of your corn? Mine is 8b, likely ripe by mid/end May one plot, start July other one.
I'm in zone 7 and I need to look at how many days this corn takes to mature. I germinated the seeds about 3 weeks ago, then planted them in the ground a week ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts